Get up offa that thing/ And walk 'til clothes fit better

In news tangentially related to the previous post, I went to the doctor the other week for my allergies (she actually believed I was sick this time!) and they weighed me. My weight tends to fluctuate within about a 10-pound range, but it had fluctuated out of that range to the point where I was eligible to give blood. Oops!

I didn't think too much of it until I started realizing that my pants were a little tight this week, and that I also hadn't recorded my steps on Walker Tracker in a month or more, mostly because I wasn't doing much walking to speak of. Hmmmm, maybe there's a correlation there.

I twittered that walking would be cheaper (albeit possibly less fun!) than buying all new pants, and Micah noted that he hadn't seen me on Walker Tracker lately. So, as is often the case with Micah and me, I challenged him to a duel. In order to encourage ourselves to walk more, Micah and I are entering into a walking competition starting tomorrow. At stake: The person who has the lower average stepcount between May 24 and June 24 has to write a Blog Post of Shame, confessing that they lost the competition.

So next time you see me in person, take me for a little walk. If you talk to me on the phone, remind me to get up and walk in circles while I talk. If you are Twittering or SuperPoking back and forth with me, tell me to get off the dang couch and go outside. It is for The Good of the Blog.

srah - Friday, 23 May 2008 - 12:57 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar Jess - May 23, 2008 - 1:49 PM -

Wait, is it a bad thing that you are eligible to give blood? I don't get it.

gravatar srah - May 23, 2008 - 1:56 PM -

Well, I've never given blood and am kind of scared of it because it's always hurt when I've had blood drawn for tests. Usually I have the excuse that I'm not eligible to donate, but occasionally I fluctuate above the minimum weight and then I don't have my comfortable excuse anymore.

gravatar Craig - May 23, 2008 - 2:41 PM -

I was so confused when I first read this because I thought you were saying that you had increased your weight to the point where you couldn't give blood, and I wasn't sure how that was possible. Now that I have read it correctly, I realize that you must be even smaller than I had assumed you to be. (Perception is one of the problems with meeting and knowing someone only online, I suppose.)

gravatar Craig - May 23, 2008 - 2:43 PM -

Hmm...My comment seems much more condescending than I intended. At least I didn't call you "puny human."

gravatar srah - May 23, 2008 - 2:44 PM -

I am pretty puny. And punny!

gravatar Micah - May 24, 2008 - 10:19 AM -

I didn't realize that there was a weight limit to give blood (not that I would've had to worry about that since grade school). I used to give blood pretty regularly, but was denied after I got my tattoo about 5 or so years ago. I'm sure I'm back to qualifying, but just haven't gotten back into the swing of things.

This walking contest should be fun. So, is this what health nuts do in lieu of drinking contests and other such debauchery? Note: I am about as far from being a health nut as you can and still clothes shop at regular stores.

After "The Soup" I'm taking the dog for a walk.

gravatar Noor - May 24, 2008 - 2:10 PM -

I hate you.

(OK, not really)

gravatar Cheryl - May 27, 2008 - 8:20 AM -

I'll make you walk all over this week! AND you can carry me, if it makes you feel better!