Previous entry:
« Walk the boat

Good Morning Internet!

Or rather, good evening. But I've been so lazy today it might as well be the morning for all that I've gotten done.

Anyway, I'm back in the USSR. Photos from my voyage can be found here and videos of fascinating things like whales spouting and cliff divers cliff-diving can be found here.

Now I must go and prepare for Language Week! All this time in Mexico and in on-ship Spanish classes has inspired me not to devote the entire week to Arabic. Soy hispanohablante, yo! Por el momento. Hasta que yo olvido todo mi español¹. Ha! What I love about Spanish is that I don't know it well enough to always know when I'm making a mistake or when I've just thrown in a French word that doesn't actually exist in Spanish. So I just talk and talk and talk (or write and write and write) and hope that my guesses are correct.

So get languaging, everybody! Use your language skills and get to practicing! Put yourselves outside your comfort zone for a week... maybe for a post a day for the whole week, or even just a few sentences on one day. Just participating at all makes you a Language Week Winner!

¹ I am Spanish-speaking, yo [or "me, I am Spanish-speaking", depending on what language you think the word "yo" is. I originally wrote it as English, but Spanish works too.]! For the moment. Until I forget all of my Spanish.

srah - Sunday, 24 June 2007 - 5:51 PM
Tags: , , , , , ,

gravatar Craig - June 24, 2007 - 6:56 PM -

Soy un perdedor

gravatar Sarah - June 24, 2007 - 8:45 PM -

Oh my gosh, I had such big dreams of doing semester at sea. What prevented me, was oddly enough, not the $50k or so I think it would cost in total, but my fear of being on a ship with a bunch of kids who were tiny and cute and always really drunk.

gravatar srah - June 24, 2007 - 8:58 PM -

It's not too late! They have a Lifelong Learners program, where non-students can come along and audit classes.

Unfortunately I was only onboard through the first two ports (the second of which was Acapulco) so there were plenty of people who were more interested in tequila than anything else. But I have a feeling there's a good mix of people and that some of that behavior is reduced as the voyage goes on. They have a big focus on community and acceptance.

gravatar Funchilde - June 24, 2007 - 10:56 PM -

Srah: Isn't the MV Explorer beautiful? I miss it more than I thought I would. 3.5 months on that baby is habit-forming, would love to hear more about your trip.

And it really ISN'T tooo late to do SAS. Check out the Lifelong learners and staff/faculty positions. It is a once in a lifetime MUST DO and there ARE a good mix of people so don't be Skerred.

gravatar Ms. M - June 25, 2007 - 8:43 PM -

How do you write in arabic? Do you need a special program or something?

gravatar srah - June 25, 2007 - 8:48 PM -

I wish I had a special program! Usually what I do is translate each and every letter into unicode using this page: http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/arabic.html

It is very tedious. That (and my awesome Arabic skills and the fact that I forgot everything I learned last year when summer was declared) is why I can't write anything very long.