« The Devil Wears A Retainer
'Remember when I killed your brother? I talked JUST LIKE THIIIIIIIIS!'
Another update on my AFI Top 100 progress...
#71: The Manchurian Candidate - I figured it would be another one I'd have to suffer through, but... war, romance, Solitaire, politics, brain-washing... this movie has a little something for everyone! It's a must-see, especially for my sister!
#72: A Streetcar Named Desire - O, Streetcar! Um, it was pretty good I guess. It was nice to see all the clichés ("I have always depended on the kindness of strangers", "STELLAAAAAAA!") in context. It had interesting, complicated characters, which I usually like, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's the Louisiana thing. I like Karl Malden. He was in this, Patton, On the Waterfront and Pollyanna. One of these things is not like the others.
#73: Chinatown - Dammit. I thought this was going to be one of those sleepers (like The Manchurian Candidate) where it didn't look like something I'd like but then it would end up being good. I found it hard to follow and therefore hard to maintain interest in. She's my sister! She's my daughter!
#74: On the Waterfront - STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Oh wait, wrong movie. So much Marlon Brando and Karl Malden, one's likely to get confused. For years I thought this was a movie about boxing. Turns out it's a movie about mobsters and labor and stuff. I'm not sure if I'm relieved or not. Sometimes I wonder if I would actually be able to think of Marlon Brando as sexy if I had never seen Old Jabba The Hutt Marlon Brando. There are a lot of people out there who think he's attractive, but I look at him and see him with his jowls full of cotton and his mouth full of oranges. Eva Marie Saint looked like a skeletal old lady. Not flattering. Anyway, this was not a particularly entertaining movie. I'm sure it was very Important and junk but not my cup of meat.
#75: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - To give you an idea of how much my ambition to watch all 100 AFI movies has petered out as we approach the finish line, let me tell you that I watched The Manchurian Candidate on April 2nd. It's taken me 3.5 months to watch 5 AFI movies. I am never going to make it to 100, especially if I keep doing damned stupid things like watching movies I turn out to actually like. How am I going to make it through all the boxing and motorcycle-riding and god knows what else if that is all I have left? Ugh.
Anyway, I liked OFOTCN. It was quite enjoyable and interesting and I was especially fond of the one asylum patient who thought he was a Congressional custodian and a very young Christopher Lloyd as Taber. I always think of Christopher Lloyd as shrieking about "1.21 gigawatts!!" or putting the moves on Miss Scarlet, but he was great in a non-comedic role, too. He didn't have many lines, but his face was very expressive and mesmerizing. Who knew?
TrackBack URL for this entry:
› I'm BLOGGIN' here! from srah blah blah - November 5, 2010 9:43 AM
- Turns out I made way more progress on the AFI list in January than I'd thought. 88/100 The French Connection (#70)I think this mostly made the AFI Top 100 list because the car chase was influential on later movie car chases. There wasn't much to the mo... [Read More]
› 'It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.' from srah blah blah - November 5, 2010 9:43 AM
- It's been over two years since I went on an American Film Institute Top 100-watching kick, but I thought I would check my progress now, since Alfie did. I'm at 81, if my calculations are correct. I think these are the only AFI Top 100 (1998 list) movie... [Read More]
› I'm mad as hell, and we don't need no stinking giant gorillas! from srah blah blah - November 5, 2010 9:44 AM
- I made a New Year's Resolution to complete the AFI list, but then almost immediately took a break from the AFI to watch as many Oscar movies as possible in February. Then it took me until June to pick it up again, but I've made some decent progress sin... [Read More]
› You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me about my little girl hands? from srah blah blah - May 24, 2012 7:31 AM
- In talking to a friend about my AFI project, I discovered that not only had I had not done an AFI progress update since 2009, but in the last three years I hadn't even seen all seven of the movies I had left to see. So I decided it was time to do anoth... [Read More]
› I'm Spartacus! I'm the king of the world! I am Mrs Nesbitt! from srah blah blah - May 24, 2012 7:47 AM
- Now that I have finished the AFI Top 100 there are many other projects I could take on, but I've decided to tackle the 10th anniversary version of the list, which came out in 2007. The revised list removed 23 of the films and replaced them with 23 diff... [Read More]