« Unconscious Mutterings
Warm, touching warm »
Srah makes some errors, AFI-wise
I have discovered some inconsistencies in my AFI Top 100 list. I had some question as to whether I'd seen Tootsie all the way through before starting this endeavor and that seems to have thrown my count off. Either way, I've seen it all the way through now. I also wasn't sure if I'd seen Dances With Wolves all the way through or if I'd only seen part of it, but let me put it this way: I am not watching Dances With Wolves again. So now that I've gone through the list again and ended up with a different number than I started with, the list will have to be adjusted. There's going to be an odd leap from 61 to 64. Pardon my confusion.
#64: Stagecoach - A pretty good look at the way people interact in high-pressure situations as opposed to in everyday life. It was kind of sad.
#65: Platoon - After watching Munich, I needed to watch something lighthearted. Like... Platoon. One interesting fact that I learned from IMDb is that the role of Sgt. Barnes was offered to Kevin Costner. Just think! Instead of a washed-up, wrinkly old has-been, he could have been a washed-up, wrinkly old has-been who was in Platoon! (Note: I am not watching Dances With Wolves again). I kind of wish I'd started counting instances of the word "fuck" from the beginning. Entire conversations seem to be made up entirely of this word. Also, Young Johnny Depp is hot. The movie was surprisingly good. I've been pleasantly surprised by AFI war movies so far!
#66: The Apartment - This is another one of those movies that I always meant to see but never thought of when I was at the video store. Hooray for the AFI! It was very good and Shirley Maclaine was adorable. I only wish I had saved it a little longer, so that it would be an incentive to get through Easy Rider and Midnight Cowboy and The Grapes of Wrath (ye gods)...
TrackBack URL for this entry:
› 'Remember when I killed your brother? I talked JUST LIKE THIIIIIIIIS!' from srah blah blah - July 25, 2006 1:58 PM
- Another update on my AFI Top 100 progress... #71: The Manchurian Candidate - I figured it would be another one I'd have to suffer through, but... war, romance, Solitaire, politics, brain-washing... this movie has a little something for everyone! It's... [Read More]
› I'm mad as hell, and we don't need no stinking giant gorillas! from srah blah blah - November 5, 2010 9:43 AM
- I made a New Year's Resolution to complete the AFI list, but then almost immediately took a break from the AFI to watch as many Oscar movies as possible in February. Then it took me until June to pick it up again, but I've made some decent progress sin... [Read More]
› I'm BLOGGIN' here! from srah blah blah - November 5, 2010 9:45 AM
- Turns out I made way more progress on the AFI list in January than I'd thought. 88/100 The French Connection (#70)I think this mostly made the AFI Top 100 list because the car chase was influential on later movie car chases. There wasn't much to the mo... [Read More]
› You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me about my little girl hands? from srah blah blah - May 24, 2012 7:31 AM
- In talking to a friend about my AFI project, I discovered that not only had I had not done an AFI progress update since 2009, but in the last three years I hadn't even seen all seven of the movies I had left to see. So I decided it was time to do anoth... [Read More]
› I'm Spartacus! I'm the king of the world! I am Mrs Nesbitt! from srah blah blah - May 24, 2012 7:47 AM
- Now that I have finished the AFI Top 100 there are many other projects I could take on, but I've decided to tackle the 10th anniversary version of the list, which came out in 2007. The revised list removed 23 of the films and replaced them with 23 diff... [Read More]