I wish the Ice Man would goeth

Sorry I haven't blogged recently. My fingers have been frozen to various metallic objects.

For verily, I hath movèd into the freezing rain belt, between Dayton's snow and Cincinnati's rain. Or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, we're in the middle and we get iced upon. The good thing about living in this weather is that after you've finished scraping your car out from under the layer of ice, you have the makings of a delicious sno-cone! The bad thing about living in this weather is that I lied about the first part and there is no good thing.

However, I've just found out that we pay less for our health care than any other university in the state, so I'm not leaving any time soon. At least I won't have to pay too much to have my fingertips reattached when I yank them off my frozen car.

srah - Tuesday, 6 December 2005 - 12:04 PM
Tags: , , , , ,

gravatar Sylvie - December 6, 2005 - 12:51 PM -

Yes, I will have to pay a lot more to reattach my frozen toes. I decided to not wear my tall boots last night and the result was snow getting into my shoes and freezing my toes. It's been 12 hours and I still can't feel them ;-)

gravatar srah - December 6, 2005 - 4:53 PM -

Um, go to the Health Center.

gravatar Aunt Pam - December 7, 2005 - 6:50 AM -

Of course NOW it may most definitely sucketh with all that ice, but just you wait, dear Sarah. When we have bare trees and ice and snow, you will have budding leaves and flowers.
Til then, put snow chains on your shoes, and we'll all stuff your stockings in de-icer! :)
Do be careful!

gravatar Not your mom - December 7, 2005 - 12:47 PM -

This is true. When my in-laws lived in Lebanon, OH we used to visit in the spring and they were at least 3 weeks ahead of us in buds, tulips and nice weather.

gravatar Allison - December 8, 2005 - 1:51 AM -

...er, btw, we have here, in SW Ohio, what you call "Freezing Rain." I use capitals, b/c it's quite a phenomenon to be reckoned with. See, "The Ice Storm", for a quirkier take on the ice situation.

Unfortunately, snow chains will react much like the metal on the blades of ice skates, and will slide just like them too. (And they aren't allowed here.)

The ice is beautiful, though. Much like the world is made out of glass. And, you do have the knowledge that while MI spends it's days at 11° weather, we really only deal with that at night. And, maybe a week in January.

gravatar Allison - December 8, 2005 - 1:53 AM -

And, be careful on those stairs!!

gravatar srah - December 8, 2005 - 6:37 AM -

I hate ice! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I bet I don't get time off work for ice storms. So I have to get myself there somehow!

gravatar Cheryl - December 8, 2005 - 11:22 AM -

Maybe on average you pay less, but right now I pay NOTHING! (However, that changes in 23 days, sadly.)

gravatar srah - December 8, 2005 - 11:34 AM -

We also have "the Cadillac of health care" and they were comparing the costs at other Ohio universities for a similar package. We contribute 3% of the costs for a package that at OSU they would contribute 36% for.

HA HA, BUCKEYES!

gravatar katie - December 8, 2005 - 12:07 PM -

At least you have winter. All they have down here in DC is panic attacks.

gravatar Aunt Pam - December 9, 2005 - 8:42 AM -

Katie, I laughed out loud at your post. It's sooo true! But then again, seeing how folk on the eastern seaboard drive in snowy weather . . . well, it's enough to make me panic to be on the road with them! ;)

gravatar Cheryl - December 9, 2005 - 11:32 AM -

Our weather buzzwords are "Wintry Mix" and "Lake Effect Snow" in NE Ohio.