All the people will celebrate the glory of you

Next week, on the twentieth of May, I proclaim 'Liza Doolittle Day.

I have not yet decided what this will entail. Possibly speaking in a painful Cockney accent, taking a bath for the first time ever, or eating lots of chocolates and going for rides in taxis. Perhaps I will pass myself off as a duchess at an Embassy Ball, dance dance dance all night, fill my mouth with marbles or just have a cup-a-tayyyyy. Maybe I will cut off my elocution teacher's head!

I invite you all to celebrate in your own way!

srah - Sunday, 18 May 2008 - 2:35 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar Gretchen - May 18, 2008 - 3:05 PM -

Every year I think to myself that this will be the year I celebrate Eliza Doolittle Day, but I always forget! This will be the year I remember, thanks to you.
I plan on selling flowers in the street and then maybe meeting a boy named Freddie at the races.

gravatar srah - May 18, 2008 - 3:10 PM -

I always forget too! I actually put this on my calendar at work after the last time I watched MFL. (Nerd!)

Oh Freddie. What a hopeless idiot.

"I want to drink in the street where she lives." I think he's supposed to have meant that he wants to drink the street in, but I always like to think of him sitting in a doorway, drinking out of bottle covered in a paper bag. In that suit and top hat.

gravatar Kathy - May 18, 2008 - 4:17 PM -

I'll celebrate Eliza Doolittle day! I've got the chocolates, can fake a mean Cockney, and actually like taxis. I'm purely a shower girl, though.

gravatar Wickedly Scarlett - May 18, 2008 - 4:52 PM -

One of my top 5 favorite musicals of all time!! Love it!

And your comment about Freddie made me laugh. The London production recently came to Seattle, and when Eliza comes out of the house to sing "Show Me", they had Freddie sitting on the ground, leaning against a light pole and drinking out of a bottle (may have been in a paper bag, I can't remember) whilst writing his letters and poems to Eliza. So, I'd say you had a pretty accurate vision!!

gravatar Elisabeth - May 18, 2008 - 6:38 PM -

I will be celebrating Eliza Doolittle Day by putting six marbles in my mouth and discussing gardening. Not that different from any other Tuesday, really.

gravatar Craig - May 18, 2008 - 6:40 PM -

Now everyone I work with will be wondering why I refer to myself as 'enry 'iggins all day long.

gravatar alfie - May 19, 2008 - 9:42 AM -

Mmmmm. Jeremy Brett. Leslie Howard.

gravatar srah - May 19, 2008 - 9:47 AM -

Mmmm, Rex Harrison.

I have no idea who played Freddie in Pygmalion. I feel like I should know, though. It was some guy with a moustache, wasn't it?

gravatar Princess Sparklepants - May 19, 2008 - 10:27 AM -

You should totally go to the horseraces and find a horse named Dover and bet on it, and then - really inappropriately - yell for it to move it's blooming arse! With your accent, of course.

Or, maybe just bet on ANY horse, but yell it that way, anyway. That would be cool.

gravatar srah - May 19, 2008 - 10:32 AM -

If anyone would like an Eliza Doolittle Day icon, here you go!

gravatar alfie - May 19, 2008 - 2:35 PM -

Yes. It's someone less attractive. Not at all like my beloved Mr. Peanut impersonator. All he needs is a monocle.

gravatar srah - May 19, 2008 - 2:41 PM -

There's a Facebook event!

gravatar Kiley (lj: plasticprincess) - May 19, 2008 - 3:14 PM -

That is pure awesome! I now feel it necessary to tell everyone what a good girl I am ;).

gravatar Pants - May 20, 2008 - 2:24 AM -

I can't wait for my 9:00am meeting tomorrow...wonder how they'll like my Liza Doolittle accent?!

gravatar nuttycow - May 20, 2008 - 8:31 AM -

I will travel to Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire and try and spot some hurricanes.

gravatar jamelah - May 21, 2008 - 11:20 AM -

I'm lame. All I did was tell my printer at work, "Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, just you wait" when it was being a bastard.

I should've gone for the chocolates.

gravatar srah - May 21, 2008 - 12:58 PM -

I'm way lamer! All I did was quote it a few times on Twitter! I didn't even have a cup-a-taaaaaaaaaaay all day. I did eat more than my fair share of chock-lits, though.