Psst! Carrots!

I rediscovered this morning a list that I made a little over a year ago for my own use. It occurred to me, upon rereading it, that others might be interested. It is equally likely, however, that you will all just laugh at me. So, at risk of great personal embarrassment, I bring you:

The List of Gilbert Blythe Appearances in the First Two Anne of Green Gables Movies (Because the Third One Is an Abomination) Complete With DVD Chapter Number and Approximate Time of Appearance

(This is particularly useful in Anne of Avonlea (aka Anne of Green Gables - The Sequel), which has a lot of boring non-Gilbert stuff in it.)

srah - Wednesday, 9 January 2008 - 12:09 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar tiff - January 9, 2008 - 2:32 PM -

I wouldn't mind taking a peek at that list. What about the one when Gil goes to war and Anne is a nurse? I never saw that one the whole way through.

But seriously, Anne of Avonlea was such a let down for Gil lovers.

gravatar srah - January 9, 2008 - 3:05 PM -

I wouldn't have even minded the fact that there's less Gil in the second movie if they had stuck to the books instead of inventing new plots (because - heck - there isn't that much Gilbert in Anne of the Island, but that's where the BEST of it is!). They claimed it was based on two or three of the books, but threw most of those books out the window and wrote something new. There's no excuse for Morgan Harris! He should have been Roy... whatsisface. And there should have been some Patty's Place scenes with Phillipa and Priscilla and Stella and all of them.

And with the third one, they just totally threw the AOGG timeline out the window and had a young Gilbert fighting in WWI when really their adult sons were the ones in that war. They were a whole generation off! I saw that once - just to quench my curiosity - and haven't watched it since.

If it weren't for the fact that no one can replace Megan Follows and Jonathan Crombie in my heart, I would advocate for a big-budget true-to-the-story remake of the whole series, book by book.

gravatar alfie - January 9, 2008 - 4:47 PM -

Gardner. Royal "Roy" Gardner. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Roy. Spent the entire book hoping he'd get run over by a carriage or something.

gravatar srah - January 9, 2008 - 5:49 PM -

I have to rewatch the first movie this evening, just to hear the noise at AOGG Side B ch05 0:12:13. Or I could just skip right to it, since I have a handy guide!

gravatar Gretchen - January 9, 2008 - 9:34 PM -

I cannot even say how invaluable this list is--thank you for posting it. Oh, Gilbert! My heart will never be the same because of you.
(I've really got to stop falling in love with fictional characters.)

gravatar srah - January 9, 2008 - 9:36 PM -

If you're going to fall in love with a fictional character, Gilbert's a good choice. Him or Mr Darcy. :D

I'm glad everyone else seems to be as big a Gilbert-freak as I am, so I don't look like quite as much of a weirdo for having compiled it.

gravatar mommy - January 9, 2008 - 10:47 PM -

You ARE that big of a weirdo.

gravatar srah - January 9, 2008 - 10:48 PM -

Thanks, Alfie.

gravatar Fraulein N - January 10, 2008 - 2:43 PM -

SQUEE! If lovin' Gilbert Blythe is wrong ... well, you know the rest.

gravatar Cherri - January 10, 2008 - 4:09 PM -

As a redhead, I think I have extra reason for loving Gilbert Blythe. No one has ever called me "Carrots," though. :(