Who's your daddy?

This season of American Idol has been very disappointing. I probably say this every year, but this year it seems like I hate more people than I like. With any luck, Whiny Chris and Alien Phil will leave this week and we will be left with only talented people. Out of the other four (Blake, Lakisha, Jordin and Melinda) I don't really care who wins, because Blake is so much better than everyone else that he has already transcended American Idol and doesn't really need to win. It's not that he's a better singer than the other three (he's usually "pitchy"), but he is comfortable on stage and commands the audience's attention in such a way that he makes up for any vocal weakness. Plus he wears a lot of plaid and argyle.

Here are some of my favorite performances:

The first time I really noticed Blake standing out from the rest of the gang:

Blake making love to the camera (which doesn't gross me out the way it did when Brandon Rogers, Sanjaya and Constantine did it). He also does an awesome little moonwalk thing:

He may be dressed like he came from a bad sci-fi movie, but he will always love me (isn't that nice of him?):

Last night's Bon Jovi extravaganza (as I IMed to my sister, "He can do some impressive things with his mouth. That's what she said."):

(Unfortunately I can't show you the video of Blake singing "Power to the People" during the "Idol Gives Back" episode because he sang the wrong damn John Lennon song. Last night's performance made me forgive him for not following my commands, but I will not forget.)

Blake could make it without Idol, but I would rather he stuck around another few weeks and came in second or third (not first, because then you have to be The American Idol and that's a kiss of death to anyone who is not Kelly Clarkson). Unfortunately, I got my numbers mixed up and accidentally voted for Phil last night, and that makes me worry that Phil will beat Blake by one vote tonight. Blake will go home and we will all have to wait until his album comes out to see him again and we'll have to watch Phil's strange head for another week. Sigh.

srah - Wednesday, 2 May 2007 - 12:23 PM
Tags: , , , , ,

gravatar alfie - May 2, 2007 - 1:20 PM -

Did you have to remind me that he sang "Imagine?" That part had been pushed down on my blog, so I had forgotten.

P.S. Thanks for the links.

gravatar tiff - May 2, 2007 - 5:16 PM -

I loved his dark hair and everything about him last night, and I hate American Idol (on principle). But yea, I hope that he comes in second a la Kat McPhee or someone else. Don't win Blake! Tank it on purpose!

gravatar srah - May 2, 2007 - 5:46 PM -

His friend is pretty awesome too.

gravatar Not your mom - May 2, 2007 - 7:00 PM -

I can't believe we aren't related. I too don't want Blake to win, but I want him to stay on because he is always so interesting. I don't buy much music, but I might buy his.

gravatar alfie - May 2, 2007 - 10:46 PM -

Holy crap, yay!

gravatar srah - May 3, 2007 - 7:04 AM -

Hooray! I don't care what happens for the rest of the show.

gravatar Cheryl - May 3, 2007 - 8:19 AM -

That video is weird and creepy but funny all packed into one.

gravatar srah - May 3, 2007 - 12:03 PM -

Which one? The friend's?

gravatar leslie - May 6, 2007 - 11:23 AM -

I hated the black hair look, but Blake and Melinda are my two favorites this year. Melinda for sheer vocal power and Blake for being inventive and doing 311 on American Idol. He's made Simon Cowell utter the words "I'd never heard that song before" more than any other contestant. Whee! I hope Melinda wins - I think she has a chance to carry the win better than many of the past winners since Kelly. Then Blake could be second and have real success outside of the Idol machine. Lakisha is talented, and yet she bugs me for some reason, and Jordin is talented but seems to be a twit.

gravatar srah - May 6, 2007 - 9:01 PM -

I loved how when he did All Mixed Up, Paula complimented him on choosing a contemporary song. Um, Blake was probably in middle school when that song came out, Paula! I like that Blake seems to be familiar with a wide range of music. There's always someone saying "I don't really know this kind of music so I just picked a song out of a hat" but Blake seems to know the genres well enough to find songs that are suited to his style.

Lakisha is talented, but she's a robot. She shows no emotion!