Stranger in an even stranger land

Dear Southwestern Ohio,

Pączki!

Who the hell puts cupcake frosting on a friggin' pączek?

srah - Tuesday, 28 February 2006 - 7:01 PM
Tags: , , , , ,

So. Wrong. from linklog - March 1, 2006 7:45 PM

http://www.srah.net/weblog/archives/2006/02/stranger_in_an_even_stranger_l.php... [Read More]

gravatar Your ARWYDK - February 28, 2006 - 10:21 PM -

Thank you for using the proper singular of "paczki." But what I did not know was that eating these blobs on Fat Tuesday rather than Fat Thursday (the last Thursday before Ash Wednesday) is specific to Metro Detroit, or at least was until this paczki marketing scheme took off, and is due to the French influence in the area. That's really a pretty obscure piece of American ethnic trivia.

I'm very fond of the minimal remnants of French culture that one finds in southeastern Michigan. The long blocks where there once were ribbon farms. The word "river" going in front of the river's name. The odd accent that you hear if you talk to an old person who grew up in Monroe or one of the other smaller Downriver towns.

They're solving the zoo problem, so have fun the next time you're "at the narrows"!

gravatar srah - February 28, 2006 - 10:26 PM -

Ever since I learned that paczki was plural, I've enjoyed being the only mutant who uses the correct singular/plural forms.

Thank you for the zoo update!

gravatar J - March 1, 2006 - 10:38 AM -

Hey, turns out they don't have extra pastries available on Fat Tuesday in the northern south. OK, score one for the midwest.

gravatar Cheryl - March 1, 2006 - 12:16 PM -

Blech, I had to get custard ones because I went too late at night and to the crappy grocery store (cause, you know, the other one's *so* much more upscale. Please note sarcasm.). But they were good anyway!

Wop wop.

gravatar Fraulein N - March 3, 2006 - 9:08 AM -

I had never heard of paczki, but of course now I want some. Mmm.

gravatar Dave - March 3, 2006 - 8:01 PM -

Sacrilege. Ohioans just can't get anything right.

I have to say I've annoyed any number of people by correcting them whenever I heard them say "a paczki" or "paczkis."

gravatar Sapphire - March 4, 2006 - 8:34 AM -

That's why it's called Obese America.