Thank you kindly for obeying the law!

My sister just bought the first season of Due South on DVD and we've been working our way through it. It's widely accepted, I think, that Benton Fraser is The Perfect Man, but in episode 4, I realized that he was The Perfect Man for me (well, except for being fictional and all).

In the episode, Fraser - who is handsome, clean, polite and respectful of rules - is inexplicably riding a horse through empty streets in Chicago. He stops his horse and his companion looks up to see that Fraser stopped because the traffic light had turned red. That is the moment where he stole my heart.

One of my pet peeves is Vehicles Who Don't Think They're Vehicles. I have been known to roll down my window and timidly murmur curses into my lap while driving past bicyclists who run red lights. Yes! I know! Such a rebel and a troublemaker! I'd run them over instead, but that's frowned on, apparently. Instead I must be passive-aggressive and nonconfrontational.

Bicyclists around here seem to think that traffic laws don't apply to them when they're riding in the street. You can't ride against traffic! You're not allowed to plow through stop signs just because you're not in a car! Just because nothing's coming, that doesn't mean that you can run a red light! If you're in the street, you are a vehicle - whether you're in a car, on a motorcycle, in a rickshaw, on a bicycle, or on a horse - and you're subject to the rules of the road!

Due South never explained why the streets of downtown Chicago were completely car-free to allow for horseback riding, but I'm happy to know that there's someone around who's found that the way to srah's heart is through following the rules.

I am such a geek.

srah - Saturday, 13 August 2005 - 10:15 AM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar Not Your MOM - August 13, 2005 - 10:58 AM -

I was once driving in my residental area when I saw a guy on a bike who had a stop sign at the intersection while I did not. Therefore I continued to proceed slowly thru the intersection. However, the guy did Not stop and I had to brake and he cursed at ME!

It is true that people on bikes think they are above the law for some reason. Good way to get killed, don't you think?

Hey, my name did pop up automatically after clicking on Remember Me? Thanks!

gravatar NaThRo - August 13, 2005 - 11:07 AM -

I agree, cyclist can be a pain at times. Though, there are a few exceptions. My Dad for example. He follows the road rules to the letter in a car or on his bike. He's been hit twice in the last year by cars who's drivers don't... *sigh*

(he's fine though)

gravatar NeighborGuy - August 13, 2005 - 12:32 PM -

I do believe that the streets of Chicago were so unusually quiet and empty because in fact they were the streets of Montreal. Apparently they had to grifitti it up to make it look more like Chicago. Congratulations on acquiring the first season dvd - my wife and I loved that show. Today I will be getting the Muppet Show season 1.

gravatar Noor - August 14, 2005 - 9:58 AM -

You know what is worse than A2 cyclists? LA bikers (on motorcycles) . . . and they really are above the law. They can get in the carpool lane (even though there is only one person on the bike). They can ride right next to you and share your lane. When you're stuck in traffic, they'll just ride between lanes past the cars parked on the freeway.

gravatar bentley - August 14, 2005 - 12:32 PM -

Due South wasn't filmed in Montreal. It was filmed in Toronto. Here's a list of locations:

gravatar Parking Structure Dude! - August 17, 2005 - 11:16 AM -

As a bicyclist who sometimes runs red lights, I have a dual rationale. Or maybe a one part rationale for doing it and a one part rationale for not feeling guilty about the poor cars left in my wake.

1. I can see and hear much better than the driver of a car, and am much more agile. So I am both better able to judge whether it's safe to proceed, and better able to get out of the way if my judgement is wrong.

2. If a car driver is jealous of my freedom, he or she is welcome to take the same risk. Next time you see a bike run a light, go ahead and run it yourself. Might be liberating. Of course you're easily identifiable by your license plate, you can't see and hear as well so you're more likely to fuck up, and you're too big and bulky to hide easily. But try it anyway. Or get a bike.

gravatar srah - August 17, 2005 - 11:30 AM -

My problem is that a bicyclist running a red light is putting himself and others in danger by not following the rules. If, for example, there is a "No Turn on Red" light and a bicyclist riding in the street does so anyway, he is less visible to other vehicles than is a car, and therefore more likely to be hit by traffic coming from other directions.