That toddling town...

Here it is Thursday and I'm finally getting around to blogging about this weekend. I think I have some kind of block - I keep sitting down in front of the computer and thinking I should write, but not really wanting to. Sigh. Anyway, I went off to a wedding in Chicago this weekend with Apete. As I've put off the blogging this time, it will have to be a series of sentence fragments strung together because I really can't bring myself to write something cohesive. What the hell is wrong with me?

Ate waffles. Got in the car. Passed a Waffle House near Paw Paw whose claim to fame (prominently mentioned on their billboard) is that their bathrooms are ranked in the top 5 in the US. We didn't stop, although I would have liked to have seen what was so great about them and to have eaten waffles in their bathroom. But I'd already eaten waffles that day.

Chicago skyline shotDrove some more - the trip was a lot shorter than I'd expected. Got to Chicago, checked in the hotel, had lunch with Apete's parents. Went to the rehearsal because Apete was a groomsman. I got scared because I found out that the wedding was going to be outside and everything I'd seen on the Intarnets predicted thunderstorms on Sunday. Glorious. They practiced processing and recessing but nothing of the ceremony. Is that normal? I'm not sure I've ever been to a rehearsal.

On to the rehearsal dinner. Had deep-dish Chicago-style pizza. Very saucey and thick. I don't quite understand why Chicago-style pizza is revered over all other kinds - I kind of like thin-crust myself. Oh well. It had tasty vegetables in it. Met other members of the wedding party and their various hangers-on.

After dinner, I got in touch with Bob, who I hadn't been able to make contact with the last time I was in Chicago. Apete, Bob, Gator and I went out for drinks. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera along, so there's no documentation of the event (well, except that he blogged about it too, so it must have happened). It was a fun time - we laughed a lot and I had a White Russian that was rather strong and strumbled to a taxi.

Sunday, day of the wedding. Somehow I didn't calculate my time well and was rushing about all morning trying to get ready. But get ready I did and I wasn't too late to meet Apete's parents to go to the ceremony. He had left a while earlier for wedding party picture-taking. The wedding was very nice - all of the Jewish traditions were explained for those of us who weren't familiar with them and the rabbi was very jovial and fun and encouraging of audience participation. Congrats, Adam and Beth!

After the wedding was the cocktail reception and after the cocktail reception, the real reception. There were delightful hors d'oeuvres at the cocktail one - some little spinach tarts and asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and grilled. Mmmmmmmmm. The wedding party were announced and entered the reception hall after everyone was seated. I don't remember that happening at tbone's wedding, which is the only thing I have to compare it to. It reminded me of a boxing match: "And now, entering the room, weighing in at X amount... The Best Man!" Then there was food and dancing and all. It was a little strange to be dancing at 2pm or whatever it was, but Apete and I will take dancing whenever we can get it.

After the reception, the party moved on to a bar for the young people and parents and anyone else who wanted to come. We decided to go and change and take a nap before moving on, but lots of people just moved on in full wedding regalia and got a head start on the drinking. After that started winding down, we went out for Thai food at this place where it looked like you were sitting on the floor, but the area under the table was dug out, so you could actually sit on the floor but have your legs dangle lower. It's a bit hard to describe. Then, back home for some more rest after a long day.

Got up, returned Apete's tux, went to barbecue at best man's house. Todd and his fiancée Patty just bought their new house so it was a sort of housewarming party, too. Success!A couple of the other groomsmen went out and bought Instruments of Summer Fun at Walgreen's. The purple rubber ball was popped by dog teeth within about three minutes, the frisbee developed a crack and no one could remember how to hula hoop, but the kite was a big hit and the guys kept scheming throughout the party to figure out the best way to get it and keep it in the air in the small Chicago back yard, with cable lines crossing it. It was quite a venture.

After the barbecue, Apete and I went back into downtown Chicago to go shopping on Michigan Avenue. We had many adventures and visited many chocolate shops and I only bought gifts for other people and nothing for myself, which was rather impressive. Then we hit the road and drove home.

And now we're back. And have been for a while. And that's blogged. Hopefully my block is over... but we shall see.

srah - Thursday, 2 June 2005 - 8:08 AM
Tags: , , , ,

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments (2)

gravatar Cheryl - June 2, 2005 - 12:16 PM -

Was it the White Russian that "strumbled" to a taxi or you? Are you the white Russian? Ha ha, I'm so funny? I mean funny.

gravatar srah - June 2, 2005 - 9:40 PM -

Ze vite Russian made me strumble.

Blog Directory - Blogged