Good tidings I bring to me and my kin

We're having a big extended-family Christmas celebration this year. One of the rules is that each person has to bring a $5 (maximum) gift for each other person at the party. So instead of having some kind of Secret Santa thing where you could get one worthwhile $25 gift, we get armloads of $5 crap. Deee-lightful.

Any suggestions on less-than-$5 gifts? Don't worry - I only see these people about once a year (if that), so you probably know them about as well as I do.

srah - Saturday, 13 December 2003 - 7:44 PM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar George - December 13, 2003 - 8:35 PM -

When I'm looking for cheap tchotchkes I usually hit Middle Earth or Acme Mercantile on Liberty between Main and Ashley.

gravatar Steven B. Cherry - December 13, 2003 - 10:28 PM -

slippers, lottery tickets, bottle of wine?

gravatar Justin - December 13, 2003 - 11:59 PM -

Wal-Mart has some great* crap DVDs for just a few cents over $5 if you don't mind rummaging through piles of them.

Like Glitter.

*And by "great," I mean "crap."

gravatar Erica - December 14, 2003 - 8:58 AM -

Ooh, Cost Plus World Market. Although I'm not sure how much you can get there for $5.

I love Cost Plus World Market.

gravatar Ali - December 14, 2003 - 9:52 AM -

Pencils. You can never have enough of those, especially the eraser variety.

gravatar Justin - December 14, 2003 - 4:33 PM -

Oh, and there's always the bulk junk at Archie McPhee.

Ah, I've been inspired to write a journal entry of my own with $5 gift suggestions. Just for you.

Clicky.

gravatar Laura - December 14, 2003 - 7:30 PM -

a really cool polished rock pendant/petoskey fridge magnet/shark's tooth/charms for a charm bracelet/crystal/bead necklace at World of Rocks in Ypsi on Huron just north of Michigan Ave., near the AATA bus station. Lots of cool rocky stuff for cheap.

gravatar Amy - December 15, 2003 - 8:28 AM -

Target has tree ornaments for under $5 - my girls bought some for friends. Chocolate or other consumables can be grand.

gravatar srah - December 15, 2003 - 8:29 AM -

My thought: $5 worth of cheese for everyone! Everyone likes cheese, right?

gravatar Mr. Hibbity Gibbity - December 15, 2003 - 8:35 AM -

Hmmmm . . . how about cheese . . . and wine in a box! Yeah!

gravatar Mer - December 15, 2003 - 8:59 AM -

Candles. Scented candles. Or other tchotchkes at Home Goods on Carpenter next to Kroger. They got cheap stuff!

gravatar Laura - December 16, 2003 - 12:51 AM -

start a tradition of giving one Xmas ornament to everyone every year--that way you never have to worry about what to give in future years. You could make a whole pile of paint-your-own-ceramic-ornaments (they have pre-fired shapes--just pick one, glaze it, they fire it) all at once at the A2 Art Center--paint on personalized names, &c. Cheap, personal, fun.

gravatar srah - December 16, 2003 - 9:09 AM -

We've got too many ornaments as it is!

gravatar Laura - December 16, 2003 - 10:35 PM -

Hmm...in that case, I would recommend a silly yet intriguing toy from one of the high-end toy stores such as Mudpuddles in the Kerrytown building or White Rabbit in Traver Village mall off Plymouth Road just north of North Campus. I've bought Secret Santa gifts there with great success. Winners: the Pig Catapult, a handheld pistol-shaped catapult in whose little bin one places a small rubber pig to "shoot," (item comes with 20 pigs) or the amazing "Quad-Cam," which takes four pictures on one frame of film, each frame slightly later than the previous one so you get four slightly different frames of a moving subject--interesting. At any rate, toy stores such as these are bursting with cheap, lighthearted, fun stuff--who needs another picture frame or candle?

gravatar Laura - December 16, 2003 - 10:39 PM -

Oops, sorry Mer, didn't mean to dis your suggestion by mentioning candles. I myself love candles and have at least a dozen right now on my shelf. But a lot of people I know aren't as enthusiastic--that's all I meant.