You'll be swell, you'll be great

Listening to a sports radio show on the way home from work last week, I decided that I wanted to be a professional basketball player in Belgium. Getting paid to live in Belgium sounds pretty good to me.

Far from supporting my dream, my parents started pointing out various flaws in my plan, such as the fact that I am a 5'1" girl with no talent or interest in basketball and with a contempt for most athletes. I was horrified and disappointed that my family didn't support my decision automatically and tell me to shoot for my dreams because if I want it enough, I can do anything. No, there they were, letting a little thing like reality get in the way. Due to this lack of parental support, my dream was abandoned early on.

Listening to the sports radio show on the way to work yesterday, I told my parents that I now want to play baseball for the Detroit Tigers, who are currently breaking sucking records left and right. My parents said that I probably couldn't make them any worse than they already are.

It's great to have that kind of parental support.

srah - Wednesday, 2 July 2003 - 6:37 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar alfie - July 3, 2003 - 12:07 AM -

The Tigers are so bad that they've basically fallen off radar. No one pays attention to them, on the radio they have been making comments about how awful teams like the Mets are because the Tigers sucking is old news. Vive the 1984 Tigers! I was born. Then you sucked.

gravatar Jez - July 3, 2003 - 3:43 AM -

Breaking sucking records? I don't understand. Is this some kind of bizarre, distateful attempt to enter the Guiness book of records.

Belgians are't very tall either. Maybe there's hope in your basketball dreams yet.

gravatar srah - July 3, 2003 - 7:37 AM -

"I was born. Then you sucked." Giggle giggle snort!

Nope, too late. My dream is definitively abandoned.

gravatar alfie - July 3, 2003 - 1:13 PM -

You're welcome.

gravatar alfie - July 3, 2003 - 4:24 PM -

It could be worse. You could be 4'11 and 3/4" and you could have tried out for a basketball team despite lack of talent, only to have the coach be a jerk and announce that practice wouldn't be over till you made a free-throw, only to give up after a half hour of you missing said free-throws.

gravatar Cheryl - July 7, 2003 - 12:52 PM -

We were at a club last week that was definately hard up for business. They had ladies night every night, where they also had a diamond ring give-away (which one of us won, as there were only 3 other women in the place). Sadly, we started a soul train thing, mostly by mistake, but it did last a rather long time. Anyway, that was the first day last week that the tigers won and the had sports center playing and we saw this and cheered loudly. I'm sure the other 7 people in the bar (bartenders not included) thought we were crazy.