Planet Earth is blue/ And there's nothing I can do

20081020michiganspace.jpgI was in Ann Arbor when Michigan won their first football game this year and in China (or in the air coming back from China) when they won their second. This weekend, the team started out strong when I was driving south through Indiana and got progressively worse as I approached Srahtown, pulling out all stops and sucking pretty hardcore once I actually got in front of the TV.

It would appear that Michigan plays better the further I am from Srahtown. The only solution is for the Wolverine-heavy NASA program to lend a hand by launching me into space on November 22. Anyone got any connections?

srah - Monday, 20 October 2008 - 9:18 AM
Tags: , ,

gravatar Craig - October 20, 2008 - 10:27 AM -

Hmm, remind me never to attempt to get into a logic discussion with you. I think the problem here is that you have been spoiled. Take it from those of us who went to schools with, well, let's just say without a "winning tradition": Sometimes, your team is bad. The rest of us had to experience those teams, and, unfortunately, we know our own and recognize this Michigan team as one of them. They'll bounce back once they get people who fit the system and once the people who are already there learn the new system.

gravatar srah - October 20, 2008 - 10:39 AM -

Wait, are you saying that you've never determined that a team's performance depends entirely on your own actions?

Michigan is likely to be as bad if not worse next year, since a poor recruiting year was one of our weaknesses this year and it's not likely to improve if we continue sucking. :(

gravatar jday - October 20, 2008 - 11:15 AM -

Srah, I fully relate to this post. ND was winning against UNC when I stopped watching, and then what happened? I feel like I have let my boys down when, as their #1 fan, I cannot support them by yelling advice loudly at my television. Obviously, that is why they lost the last game. It has absolutely nothing to do with which team is "better". I scoff at such a silly notion.

gravatar jamelah - October 20, 2008 - 11:50 AM -

I will be unable to offer any help or support on November 22 because my cousin is getting married that day. What kind of person has a wedding on that day? HUH?

Anyway, I think you should start a petition and send it to NASA. I will sign. Twice, if necessary.

gravatar srah - October 20, 2008 - 12:28 PM -

My fear is that someone might actually take me up on it and I would have to go into space. I'm afraid of space! There are Vermicious Knids there!

(Seriously, though, I am terrified of Vermicious Knids - even though I'm aware that they're fictional - and every time I hear a story about the International Space Station I think of them and get scared for the poor astronauts.)

gravatar Craig - October 20, 2008 - 2:12 PM -

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying I've never felt that way to the point of shooting myself into space.

Based on nothing more than name alone, Michigan will be able to out-recruit just about any team in the conference. Transition years really shouldn't be looked at the same way as others. Besides, at least you aren't Wisconsin.

gravatar srah - October 20, 2008 - 2:20 PM -

Oh. Well you should know by now that all of my blog posts are based on facetiousness and hyperbole.

gravatar SA - October 20, 2008 - 3:40 PM -

You should do what I'm doing: just chalk up this season up as a losing one and mentally move on to next year. If we beat Michigan State this Saturday I will call this season a success (anything to keep Little Brother down) and look forward to year two of the RichRod era. If MSU wins then, well, they probably should win because our team, as you've noted, suck.

For real. It'll make your life less hassly.

However, I think the team will be better next year. They'll have had one year of running the spread and that year makes a world of difference (look at year two of Urban Meyer at Florida, or Mack Brown at Texas, or Pete Carrol at USC). And maybe RR will realize that Stephen Threet should never, ever run.

gravatar allthewine - October 20, 2008 - 11:29 PM -

you think that's bad, I'll be in Columbus nov 22hopefully death doesn't become me.

gravatar Elisabeth - October 20, 2008 - 11:48 PM -

I've got a connection with NASA now (thanks to George Bush Sr.) so I'll put in a good word.