Like all women, she's shoe-mad.

The advantage of having an overactive imagination is that I am well-prepared for almost any eventuality, no matter how preposterous. I will have you know that I have many courses of action plotted out just in case I accidentally kick my shoe off while walking and as it flies through the air, it happens to fall into a storm drain. And if my shoe gets stuck in the train tracks just as I hear the train start to whistle and the railroad arms start to come down, I will give one more tug, then give up and leave the shoe behind as I flee, one-shoed, to safety.

Most of my anxiety and paranoia seems shoe-related. Maybe I should start going barefoot.

srah - Thursday, 10 July 2008 - 8:27 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar moe - July 10, 2008 - 8:57 PM -

But you would have to cut your foot off it was stuck in the railroad tracks, then.

gravatar srah - July 10, 2008 - 9:00 PM -

I hope my whole foot wouldn't be stuck! I don't have a plan for that yet!

gravatar Cheryl - July 11, 2008 - 8:15 AM -

I have that thought about the storm drains, too. Not that my shoes will fly off, but I will be stepping over a drain on my way up the curb and my sandal will slide off. I actually had this thought yesterday. You will have to share what you would do, because I would just be very sad and have no idea.

gravatar srah - July 11, 2008 - 8:31 AM -

Well, you have to be sad, because the shoe is gone. You can take a look in there to see if maybe it didn't fall all the way down, but it's probably gone. My next course of action would depend on why I was out walking in the first place. Was it to get exercise? Did I have somewhere to be? Was I walking home from something?

The other day when I had this thought, I was on my way to a wine tasting, and I was meeting a friend there who had also walked, so she couldn't give me a ride home. I decided that I would either call another friend to pick me up or I would walk/hop/hobble up to the shoe store on the corner and buy their cheapest shoes (which unfortunately would probably be Crocs) to get myself to the wine tasting. Or I could go to the tasting with one shoe on (if they'd let me) and go to the shoe store afterwards. There were many factors to consider. For example, I don't know when the shoe store closes.

It is important to be flexible in your insane paranoiac imagination.

gravatar spudart - July 11, 2008 - 10:51 AM -

what if your shoelace gets caught in the escalator and it totally eats up the shoelace, to the point that it's wrapped around some rotating cylinder part under the escalator and you can't pull it out, and the escalator stops, but your shoe is still there? Do you take your shoe off and leave it there, and walk away? Do you try to find someone who works at the building to tell them you broke the escalator? Do you unlace your shoe, leaving the escalator with your shoelace? And then do you tell someone in the building? Or just walk away?

I would probably first take a photo, then unlace my shoe. And i hope I would tell someone in the building.

gravatar srah - July 11, 2008 - 11:01 AM -

I think I would at least try to salvage the shoe itself, even if I left the lace behind. And I, too, hope I would tell someone!

gravatar Fraulein N - July 15, 2008 - 8:51 AM -

I like that you plan ahead.