One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other

This SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, coming to a TV near me (and maybe you, if you're lucky!) is the three-month Jane Austenpalooza on Masterpiece Theatre. In case this is the first you're hearing of the loveliness that PBS is providing in our hour of television need, here's the program:

• January 13: Persuasion
    The Amanda Root-Ciaran Hinds version is probably my favorite film version of a Jane Austen novel, so I'm a bit hesitant about this one. Can it be anywhere near as good?
  • January 20: Northanger Abbey
    I've never seen a film version of Northanger Abbey, but it's the novel that I've read most recently, so it's freshest in my mind. I'm looking forward to seeing how they pull off saddling such a great male protagonist with such a silly female one.
  • January 27: Mansfield Park
    I'm not a huge Mansfield Park fan, but I'm really looking forward to this one, mostly because I'm intrigued by the cast. A time traveler and the son of a mad scientist are in it!
  • February 3: Miss Austen Regrets
    Don't know much of anything about this, except that it seems to be a film about Jane Austen helping her niece find a husband.
  • February 10: Pride and Prejudice part 1
    February 17: Pride and Prejudice part 2
    February 24: Pride and Prejudice part 3
    Delightful. I will probably skip these weeks and watch it on DVD, so I can rewatch the wet-Darcy scene over and over again if when I choose.
  • March 23: Emma
    This one came out in 1996 but I've never seen it. Not sure why they did TV remakes of only four of the films.
  • March 30: Sense and Sensibility part 1
    April 5: Sense and Sensibility part 2
    I took a quiz this week that said the Jane Austen heroine I most resembled was Elinor Dashwood. I think I'm part Elinor and part Marianne, but I mostly keep the crazy Marianne parts inside my head.
  • April 20: My Boy Jack
    (Unrelated to Jane Austen, but starring Harry Potter in a Terrible Moustache)

srah - Thursday, 10 January 2008 - 9:53 PM
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

gravatar jess - January 11, 2008 - 7:16 AM -

I was Elizabeth Bennet. It was pretty easy to figure out what you need to pick to rig the results though :D

gravatar Cherri - January 11, 2008 - 7:20 AM -

Hurrah, my quiz result was Elizabeth Bennet!
The cast for that production of Sense and Sensibility is very, very strange. Also, I realized that I'm familiar with at least one cast member of each of those movies. This is what happens when you watch a bunch of British television.

I am going to try and erase that horrid picture of Daniel Radcliffe from my brain.

gravatar tiff - January 11, 2008 - 8:13 AM -

Did you watch Jane Eyre? It's been a long time since I've read that, but MT's interpretation definitely made me want to pick up the book again.

So excited for this Jane Austenpalooza! Finally something good to watch.

gravatar srah - January 11, 2008 - 8:42 AM -

I think I saw it on TV months ago. Is that even possible? How many times has it been reshown here? Could it be yet another version? I remember being very annoyed by the makeout scene where they're noisily slurping each others' faces.

gravatar alfie - January 11, 2008 - 12:53 PM -

I think you saw it on TV and also objected because I was watching it one day when you came home. Toby Stephens, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I need to watch JE and Twelfth Night again.

gravatar Elisabeth - January 13, 2008 - 9:40 PM -

I am Marianne Dashwood every time I take that quiz. I'm really not.
I added half of this list to my Netflix queue.

gravatar Fraulein N - January 15, 2008 - 2:28 PM -

Damn! Can't believe I missed the first night! (I think I thought it started on January 19...)

Also, that picture of Daniel Radcliffe is DAMN funny. Like I think I need to bookmark it in case I need something to cheer myself up later.