A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

I am going to California in March! Finally I will officially be able to say that I've been to California! I sort of was in California this summer, but I'm kind of embarassed to check it off the list, since the entirety of my time there was landing in San Diego, then taking a cab to the port and getting on a ship. And I could still see the airport from the ship, so I didn't even travel that far within San Diego. This time I will actually spend multiple days in the state and see things and take pictures of things other than planes taking off!

I am very unfamiliar with my California geography, but I am told that I am going to a magical place called Mountain View, which is apparently near San Francisco, which is where you can ride on cable cars with seals while eating Rice-a-roni. I am also going to insist on going to Grant Avenue and wearing a flower in my hair.

My visit has been announced to many Sanfriscoonies in proper monster truck rally style ("THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY!"), so I imagine there will be lots of people to see and things to do! Or vice versa!

Dear California,

Please do not break off and fall into the ocean while I am on you.

srah - Wednesday, 30 January 2008 - 8:07 PM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar katelin - January 30, 2008 - 8:57 PM -

Yay for California! Best state around :)

gravatar Elisabeth - January 30, 2008 - 9:37 PM -

Yay! I'm going to the Reagan/Nixon museums in March!

gravatar srah - January 30, 2008 - 9:43 PM -

Yay! We're, like, California twins!

gravatar Sylvie - January 31, 2008 - 9:57 AM -

I miss CA

My husband misses it a lot more, he yelled out the other day he was tired of wearing pants. Just for reference, he wore shorts all year round in CA and he wishes he could do that in MD.

gravatar srah - January 31, 2008 - 10:31 AM -

I'M TIRED OF WEARING PANTS TOO!

For the record, that has nothing to do with shorts. And I'm not even wearing pants right now.

gravatar nico - January 31, 2008 - 3:47 PM -

While in the Bay Area, be sure to hit Fisherman's Wharf, Height and Ashbury to check out the legendary Amoeba Music, and the main drag of Telegraph. :)

gravatar tiff - January 31, 2008 - 6:41 PM -

pants! pants! pants! pants!

lucky girl, can you bring some California sunshine back with you? thx.

gravatar Emiline - February 1, 2008 - 3:58 AM -

You must take advantage of the food opportunities. Especially the Rice-a-Roni.

gravatar Fraulein N - February 1, 2008 - 10:40 AM -

Oooh, the San Francisco treat! I love that they call rice a "treat." I also love the title of this post.

gravatar d - February 1, 2008 - 11:41 AM -

srah...you better do your best to check out my alma mater, which is IN mountain view (like a hundred feet north, in palo alto).

and if you want some delicious food from an adorable little place, cafe brioche and the place next to it on california ave are AWESOME. great brunch.

also, sushi - go to fuki-sushi on el camino!

ah...i'm jealous.

gravatar EV - February 2, 2008 - 6:01 PM -

My homeland! Well actually, I'm from San Diego, so you briefly saw my homeland but will not (if I understand you correctly) be going there for reals. But Northern Cali is much, much better anyway.

gravatar Sylvie - February 6, 2008 - 2:56 PM -

EV: I need help with visiting San Diego. My husband and I are going to be there for just one day and we need to know what we can do/see off of the port, since we are cruising in.

gravatar srah - February 6, 2008 - 4:19 PM -

You can see planes taking off!

gravatar notyourmom - February 6, 2008 - 6:26 PM -

Sylvie- One of my favorite things to do in San Diego is go to Old Town (it's free!). It isn't far from downtown SD. Many other things like the Zoo are close too, but that is too much to see in one day. You can go to other things at Balboa Park. Other things to do if you rent a car is to drive around, go to Coronado and see Mission Bay and all the things you see on TV shows based in SD.

gravatar James - February 20, 2008 - 1:37 PM -

My wife was in San Francisco over the summer, and she did in fact confirm that the seals DO ride with you in the trolley car. Unfortunatly she did mention that do to El Nino, the only Rice-A-Roni available is that nasty chicken kind.

Have Fun.