Next entry:
Dream »

I'm a nerd, okay? Leave me be.

So much for my Writers' Strike plans. Instead of the Quantumleapapalooza I predicted, all of my television needs have been fulfilled by outsourcing.

Corner Gas
This Canadian series is running on Superstation WGN at bizarre hours like 11:30pm on Sunday night and 8pm on Wednesday. This is why I have only seen two episodes of Pushing Daisies, folks. It is not that I dislike Pushing Daisies, but something about Pushing Daisies makes my heart ache a little bit, and Corner Gas just makes me laugh. Be gone with you, angst! Instead we shall drive around in little cars.

Never Mind the Buzzcocks
The Flight of the Conchords LiveJournal community linked to a YouTubed episode of this British quiz show, on which Kristen Schaal (Mel from FOTC) was one of the panelists. So I went and watched it and was intrigued by her fellow panelist Noel Fielding (who, it turned out, was filling in for the regular captain of that team and was in a few other episodes I found). I, like Kristen, am in love with their culture despite the fact that I only understand about half of the jokes. I watched all of the episodes with Noel Fielding or anyone I had heard of (including Jermaine Jackson and David Cross), then in looking at Noel Fielding's IMDb profile I saw that he was in an episode of...

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
I had seen a few clips from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace online and I did manage to watch the fourth episode (where Noel Fielding is pretty much unrecognizable in ape-makeup) online. Then the next day I went up to Ann Arbor and visited with Mike and Melissa, who recommended that we watch the series, which they have on DVD. So now I've seen all six episodes of the series (still have to track down Man to Man with Dean Lerner, though!). It is a parody of sci-fi/horror/80s television series, complete with purposely bad acting, editing, writing and set design. It is a marvel to behold.

The IT Crowd
I noticed that a lot of people involved with Garth Marenghi (including Richard Ayoade and Matt Berry) were also involved with The IT Crowd, which I had heard of a while ago, but had never gotten around to seeking out. Thank you, writers' strike! With nothing else on TV, I am inspired to search a little harder for my entertainment. Fortunately the whole series was online, so I ended up watching all twelve episodes in the span of about twenty-four hours. I pretty much went to work, slept, and watched The IT Crowd constantly for those twenty-four hours. I still don't quite understand how I did it. It's not really mathematically possible, but such was my love for The IT Crowd. It defied logic. And time. Then it was all done and I had to search for more shows. I was becoming a monster. (A few more clips, all from the same episode: the spider, the football conversation, and the personal ad.)

The Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2006
Back to my growing obsession with Noel Fielding. (He was in The IT Crowd, just not in any of those clips. I think his flat, stringy Goth hair disappointed me too much.) Apparently Channel 4 does an annual quiz show to review the past year in entertainment. Noel appeared in last year's quiz and [SPOILERS!!!] he and Russell Brand will be returning in the 2007 quiz to defend their title. It is about an hour and a half long, but seems longer when it's broken into eleven parts on YouTube. Fortunately those eleven parts were great. Do you like ice cream?

The Mighty Boosh
Everywhere I've gone in my quest to stalk Noel Fielding online, it was Mighty Boosh this, Mighty Boosh that. I watched the first two episodes of the first season and thought, 'Well, I don't know why everyone's so excited about that.' Fortunately I didn't let that stop me, because the secret is: the first two episodes of the first season are not that good (this is only my opinion, but it is true). But the rest is crackerjack! Throughout the series, The Mighty Boosh (the ensemble consisting mainly of protagonists Howard and Vince, but also their fellow hangers-on - Naboo the Shaman, his gorilla familiar Bollo and various characters played by Rich Fulcher) travel to Monkey Hell, befriend a polar bear, meet a man made out of cheese, bring a bubblegum vacuum cleaner to life, nearly get sexually assaulted by Yeti, accidentally summon the most evil demon known to man, travel through space, get propositioned by a Bailey's-loving fish-man, get into abusive relationships with coconuts on sticks, sell elbow patches, sing nonsensical songs, talk to the moon, shrink themselves down to battle the Spirit of Jazz and make out with each other, among other adventures. And, of course, the occasional cameo by Richard Ayoade as the shaman Saboo. I'd say it's something of a cross between Flight of the Conchords, The Lonely Island and Aqua Teen Hunger Force, if you can imagine such a thing.

The Big Fat Anniversary Quiz
Another hour-and-a-half-long quiz show, this time as a special event to celebrate Channel Four's 25th anniversary. And now I'm off to marry Richard Ayoade, if he'll have me. (Noel Fielding will be my backup.)

srah - Tuesday, 18 December 2007 - 12:13 PM
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

gravatar Jess - December 18, 2007 - 12:29 PM -

Wow, this is brilliant. We mostly watch reruns anyway. Though let me say that I am dying with excitement over the new season of American Idol. Okay, I'm a dork. Sorry.

gravatar Maxie - December 18, 2007 - 1:02 PM -

I miss new episodes of all my favorite shows :-( I want the strike to be OVER.

gravatar Elisabeth - December 18, 2007 - 4:55 PM -

I'm Old Gregg!

gravatar srah - December 18, 2007 - 5:01 PM -

Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe? I'm Old Gregg!

gravatar Cherri - December 18, 2007 - 5:52 PM -

Though I haven't seen much of it, I'm still skeptical of The Mighty Boosh. Quite a while ago I saw a clip from it that was supposed to be "hilarious," but I did not find that to be the case. However,I liked the one episode I saw of Never Mind the Buzzcocks.
Have you seen Look Around You?

gravatar srah - December 18, 2007 - 6:13 PM -

Nope. Another one for the list!

gravatar srah - December 18, 2007 - 6:15 PM -

I wish we had celebrity panel quiz shows in the US. I think the closest thing we have is that one thingy on NPR.

gravatar srah - December 18, 2007 - 6:53 PM -

I say give The Mighty Boosh another chance! I was not convinced at first, either.

gravatar cdp - December 18, 2007 - 9:41 PM -

Oh right. I *like* srah, but I'm not *curious*....

gravatar srah - December 18, 2007 - 10:42 PM -

We should be married to ladies but we're married to each other!

gravatar Elisabeth - December 18, 2007 - 11:06 PM -

Team team team, I love saying the word team.

gravatar srah - December 18, 2007 - 11:23 PM -

Two eyes. That's the best amount of eyes.

gravatar EV - December 20, 2007 - 3:12 PM -

You should give Mitchell and Webb a spin--they're a British comedy duo that literally kill me dead. Sketches from their show "That Mitchell and Webb Look" are here, I highly recommend "Numberwang". Also search for episodes of Peep Show, their sitcom.

gravatar srah - December 20, 2007 - 3:43 PM -

Literally?

gravatar srah - December 20, 2007 - 3:45 PM -

One of those guys (I think it's Mitchell) was Richard Ayoade's partner on The Big Fat Anniversary Quiz, which YouTube sadly took down only hours after I wrote this post. :'(

gravatar EV - December 21, 2007 - 4:03 PM -

Literally. Also, they do the Mac/PC commercials in the UK, which you can probably tell is perfect.

gravatar Recovering Overachiever - January 7, 2008 - 12:45 PM -

So glad you self-linked from the 20SB forum. Loved the post! Definitely good information to know.

gravatar PrincessPolly - January 23, 2008 - 8:01 PM -

Garth Marenghi, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, and The IT Crowd are all fabulous, love them all! Do you get Father Ted in America? That's one of my all time favourite comedies, as is Spaced. I also loved The Book Group.

gravatar srah - January 23, 2008 - 8:41 PM -

I think I've seen all of Father Ted! I've only seen part of an episode of Spaced but I keep meaning to go back to it. I've never even heard of The Book Group! So much to discover!

gravatar PrincessPolly - January 25, 2008 - 7:43 PM -

The Book Group is set in Glasgow but it was written by an American. It's pretty good! It's part funny part serious. I also would recommend Peep Show as per the person above. Star Stories is another show that's good - it's a total pisstake of celebrity stories and makes me laugh so much! TLC which was a shortlived British version of Scrubs. I've been trying to get into The Might Boosch too - its funny enough but I think its too random to enjoy in one go. Shows I have HEARD about but not seen are "Man To Man with Dean Learner" (which I believe is the guy from Garth Marenghi) and "The Smoking Room" as well as "Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive" which is I believe a pisstake of panel shows. If you do check these out let me know what you think of them - i would like to know what they're like! Oh, and I also love The Armando Ianucci Shows, its random but makes me laugh and think all at once, which can't be a bad thing.