This I Believe (At the Moment)

NPR has an ongoing series called "This I Believe" where people share their important beliefs. I've often thought about that segment and what I would say if I were featured on the show. Unfortunately, I've never been able to settle on one theme for very long. And I am also not very good at taking things seriously. So I bring you:

This I Believe (At the Moment)

1. I believe that the highest point in the history of recorded sound was when Johnny Mathis recorded "Chances Are." Whatever the motivations were for inventing sound recording technology, they were ultimately satisfied when Johnny Mathis' voice was preserved for posterity. It's not so much that any of Johnny Mathis' songs are that great (I wouldn't be wild about a Mathis cover album), but because his voice is the most beautiful and pure thing that has ever existed on earth. It is like listening to angels. Now please pardon the fact that this video has cartoon lions in it.
  2. I believe that the best song ever is King Harvest's "Dancing in the Moonlight." If they held a vote to find the best song ever, this one would win, because it's just well-known enough to be familiar, but not well-known enough to be considered overplayed or offensive to anyone (except maybe Fundamentalist Christians who are opposed to dancing in the first place).
  3. I believe that vanilla ice cream is not worth eating all by itself, but vanilla bean ice cream is delicious. There is probably no difference, but those little speckles make it seem so much fancier and more elegant.
  4. I believe that the construction at the point where I-70 meets up with I-75, which has been going on since before I moved here (more than a year and a half ago) will never ever be finished. I have never actually seen anyone working there so I'm pretty sure they've just abandoned the idea of doing whatever it is they were going to do there, and have decided to make the cones and barrels a permanent fixture.

srah - Monday, 28 May 2007 - 5:45 PM
Tags: , , , ,

gravatar Jennie - May 28, 2007 - 10:18 PM -

Yeah, that construction is never, ever going to be finished.

gravatar alfie - May 28, 2007 - 11:20 PM -

That was my prom theme (Dancin' in the Moonlight, not Chances Are). So the prom king and queen danced to "Lady in Red." Prom sucks.

gravatar katie - May 28, 2007 - 11:55 PM -

I haven't heard that song (Dancing in the Moonlight) since I was a kid! And I totally disagree - it's not the greatest song ever. But yay for diverse opinions!

On the other hand, Johnny Mathis does indeed have a heavenly voice that holds a strange power over women. It's completely inexplicable. My college boyfriend's mother once told me that JM was a huge sex symbol when she was young, and that he made every girl melt. I don't know about that...

gravatar Amy - May 29, 2007 - 12:08 PM -

Vanilla bean ice cream is one of the things in the world. Bobtail Ice Cream in Chicago has the best vanilla bean ice cream.

gravatar Jen - May 29, 2007 - 9:17 PM -

Where are you? It's the House season finale????!!!!

gravatar Your ARWYDK - May 30, 2007 - 8:57 AM -

Another nicely written post--more interesting, in fact, than most of the actual "This I Believe" segments on the radio, which tend to be infected with NPR's deadly calculated quality. The vanilla bean ice cream conundrum may involve the version with the bean containing real vanilla while plain old vanilla ice cream often uses the artificial stuff. There's a big difference.

gravatar Neil - May 30, 2007 - 10:44 AM -

I love vanilla ice cream, but I'm too insecure to order it when I'm with others because I don't want them to think I'm boring. But you have inspired me to stand up for what I believe in. Next time, I'm ordering vanilla, with or without the specks!

gravatar Allison - May 30, 2007 - 11:52 PM -

I can verify the truthiness of the fact that vanilla bean ice cream is, indeed, more delicious than vanilla.

And why are you going to Indiana anyway? There's corn in YourState?

gravatar srah - May 31, 2007 - 3:34 PM -

Wow, I am an influencer of peoplage!

Why wouldn't there be corn in MyState? I'm pretty sure I've seen corn there. But I was driving through Indiana on my way back from Chicago.

gravatar tiff - June 4, 2007 - 10:59 AM -

I was just on I-70 wondering where all the workers were. Mystery solved!