Cup cup cup cup of of of of...

Dear The Tea Industry,

I really don't like drinking my tea with the tea bag still in it. I thought it was just that I don't like my teabag and milk to touch, but now that I have been forced (by Science!) to branch out and find a tea that I can enjoy without milk or sugar, it turns out that my craziness extends to drinking the tea while the tea bag is still in it.

Restaurants and cafés never provide them, so what you should do, The Tea Industry, is to market a line of tea bags that come with their own little saucers or bag-rests, so that I can be all cheap and reuse my tea bag over the course of multiple cups, but also have somewhere to put my tea bag in between them. If you invented that, I would totally... probably not buy it. It sounds expensive.

It is very difficult to be cheap and neurotic at the same time, but somebody's got to do it!

srah - Tuesday, 10 April 2007 - 12:47 PM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar katie - April 10, 2007 - 1:49 PM -

You should invent it. Surely there's some neurotic people out there with money. Howard Hughes, for instance.

gravatar drogulus - April 10, 2007 - 2:17 PM -

You're supposed to let tea steep before you drink it. Some people i know need to have a separate pot which they boil the water in addition to the one they use to steep the tea. If you're steeping in a cup, maybe it would be neat to make a cap for the cup and have a place on the cap that holds the string and clamps it. Then, you can retract the string into the cap, clamp it and place it messlessly o n the side of your drink.

gravatar srah - April 10, 2007 - 3:56 PM -

Oh. I'm one of those people.

I mean, you don't just put the teabag into the teakettle! You heat the water, put the teabag in a receptacle (teapot if you've got company, cup if you're alone), then pour the hot water over it, wait for it to steep in the receptacle, then remove the bag. I would not put the bag in the kettle at any point (the kettle must remain pure and pristine!). Do people do that? Nor would I put the teabag in the water before microwaving it. If I have to resort to microwaved water, I will heat the water, then add the bag.

These are the Tea Rules of Srah! So let it be written, so let it be done!

gravatar Maughta - April 10, 2007 - 6:00 PM -

I totally feel your pain (about the milk). My doctor just made me switch to decaffeinated. What good is English Breakfast if it doesn't wake you up?! No milk, no sugar, no caffeine--how does one survive?!

p.s. thanks for your post on judgeabook.blogspot.com...I enjoyed the monkey head immensely!

gravatar Cheryl - April 11, 2007 - 10:19 AM -

That is totally the normal way to drink tea.

At the restaurant I worked at during grad school, they WERE cheap and had us leave the tea bag with the customer. We would give them a hot pot of water and a mug and an unopened tea bag. We were supposed to make them reuse the tea bag if they wanted more water. I never did because I thought that was weird.

gravatar tiff - April 12, 2007 - 1:45 PM -

Try loose tea? Or is that a whole 'nother bag of neurotic worms? I don't know, I stick to coffee.

gravatar srah - April 12, 2007 - 2:12 PM -

Loose tea gets everywhere. Another of my neuroses is avoiding things that are messy! Hooray.

gravatar Michelle - April 13, 2007 - 11:00 AM -

You could just carry a special tea cup everywhere you go:

gravatar Amy - April 13, 2007 - 7:12 PM -

you could use the rest that comes with the loose tea thingy as a rest for the pre-bagged tea.

and you're not just neurotic - you're supposed to remove the bag. tea that's been steeped for too long will develop a sour taste.

Random fact learned as a librarian: Coffee should also never sit in water for too long, or be made with boiling water. Taste tests in the 1910s and 1920s showed that people prefer coffee made with 95 C water.