Smoke-free Ohio

I was very conflicted on Issue 5 in this election: a proposed smoking ban to affect all bars, restaurants and other public places in Ohio. On one hand, I felt like a statewide ban was really strong, and preferred to leave it up to individual establishments to decide whether they wanted non-smokers' business. On the other hand, I don't want to breathe the stuff. All in all, I was just glad that it was on the ballot because it was really making people think about smoking.

This was the only thing on the entire ballot that I had any real hesitation about, and I hadn't even made my mind up when I arrived at the polling place or when I sat down with my (stupid paper) ballot. Finally I decided that from everything I had seen, the smoking ban looked like it was going to pass, so it didn't really matter. I decided to vote against the ban, just to make the statement that I felt it was too strong and I didn't like the idea of telling other people across the whole state what to do with their own businesses and lungs. The issue passed, which I expected (and sort of hoped) it would even when I was placing my token "no" vote.

When I was in Ireland, where the smoking ban has been in place for a while now, I was pleasantly surprised to realize that I didn't have to choose my pub-going outfit based on which clothing I could allow to get smoky. Now beginning December 8, I can go out to bars and restaurants in Ohio, too, without worrying about coming home reeking like cigarettes. Hooray! This was the one thing holding me back from having a social life, so there will be no stopping me now.

srah - Wednesday, 8 November 2006 - 5:50 PM
Tags: , , , ,

gravatar apete - November 8, 2006 - 6:36 PM -

Wow. Congrats Ohio!!!

I love smoking bans! Ohio is better than Michigan in something. Very progressive!

I am not looking forward to going to Michigan bars.

gravatar Smoke - November 21, 2006 - 10:23 AM -

Smoking bans are gay, a violation of my rights, and will cause a serious backlash,.

It's like this, if I open a bar, and I smoke, and I want my customers to be able to smoke, they can.

If you don't smoke, and don't like it, there's the door, you know how to use it.

It's that simple, some places allow smoking some don't, if you don't like smoking don't work there, don't go there.

I don't like country music, maybe I should move to have it banned, its very offensive to me, it's bad for my health as it makes me want to blow my head off. That's on even ground with the smoking ban, I think..

But despite all that, its just against everything in the bill of rights, don't believe me, go look for qoutes on prohibition, etc, by the people who wrote it, they said thats the worst thing you can do in a free society is ban something just because others don't like it.

So what if it cause cancer in non-smokers, you do realise that cotton fibers in your clothes, carpet, etc, also cause cancer,.

The sun, you know that big thing in the sky, it causes cancer, you gonna ban sunlight too, you assholes.

You should really know more about science if you are going to use it as your main argument, yes smoking causes cancer, but so do cell phones, cotton, most factories, fibrous insulation, sunlight, microwave radiation(TV, Microwaves, etc), power lines, artificial lighting, water contamination, the list goes on, and on...

So do you know how fucking stupid you sound when you tell me you want to ban smoking cause you might get cancer, well let me assure you, unless you move to an isolated tropical island, and bury yourself deep underground in a shelter and avoid all society, yep, yuu might get cancer..

Anyways, long story short, once again retards are in abundance as the polls have shown, which is why I like the idea of natural selection, because at least some of you idiots will electrocute yourselves to death while making toast, etc..

Well hope you enjoy hell, because I remember god saying only he could judge man, and once again you guys have to decided to play god, so enjoy eternal damnation..

gravatar srah - November 21, 2006 - 12:16 PM -

Your arguments about smoking bans being "gay" are very scintillating, but if you'd actually learned to read you would have learned that I voted against the ban. Thanks for your input, dumbass.

gravatar Tony - November 21, 2006 - 2:32 PM -

See what smoking does to your brain cells, kids. It causes you to use highly cultured adjectives like 'gay' and not know how to properly punctuate the end of sentences.

I can't wait for all of the smokers to rise up and chase me down the street because of smoking bans, only to get winded and start wheezing because of their decreased lung capacity.

gravatar Jim - November 29, 2006 - 10:35 AM -

Wow. What intelligent musings.....NOT!!!
Sorry Dude, your arguments carry no weight. We are talking worker health here. You saying "Then don't work here" is STUPID ! The people and the Government have a vested interest in worker health. There are worker safety and health standards and this is just another.
A company can't say on a construction site, "We will not provide safety glasses, hard hats etc and if you don't like it...don't work here". Second hand smoke is DANGEROUS and a clear health hazard to people....the evidence is in and not refuteable. Arguing that it is not dangerous is like arguing the Earth is flat, That's stupid too. The Surgeon General just issued a report on how dangerous it is. Do you read?
Nobody is saying someone can't smoke your FOUL SMELLING cigarettes to support your NICOTINE ADDICTION... They just can't do it inside a place where workers are.
You said "So what if it causes cancer in non-smokers"... Do you know how stupid that sounded? Yes, Mr. Jackass, alot of things cause cancer, everyone knows that. There is a difference though in being exposed to it because of what someone else is doing. So, if I don't smoke you should not be allowed to pollute the air around me inside a building with your TOXINS. Why should I leave completely? A smoker should go outside, get their FIX and then come back in. Is that such an inconvenience?
You are ridiculous!

gravatar Smoke this - November 29, 2006 - 8:51 PM -

I'd like to know one thing. How much of Smoke Free Ohio's funding came from the evangelical Christian right?

And for those of you who think you know what's best for the rest of us better than us, I've got news for you. You're wrong.

We're just another step closer to becoming the next North Korea.

gravatar srah - November 29, 2006 - 8:54 PM -

Screw you all. I don't even know who you are, so take your arguments somewhere outside of my blog comments. Comments on this entry are now closed because you don't know how to behave yourselves.