Previous entry:
« Rainless in Seattle

Waiter, there's a DELICIOUS in my soup

It is lunchtime and all I can think of is the Gorgonzola Ale Soup at the Firehouse Brewing Co. in Rapid City, South Dakota. I don't like beer and I don't like cheese soup, so I don't know why I ordered it. I suppose I was intrigued and I had a headache and didn't want anything more complicated than soup.

Our Trip West:  Day 3And it was DELICIOUS. And it is SO FAR AWAY. And it is IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. And I will probably NEVER RETURN. And I didn't even think to TAKE A PICTURE, which I very strangely did with a lot of meals on our trip.

O Soup! My beloved soup! Shall we ever be reunited?

I guess what I'm saying is, if you are ever in Rapid City, SD for some reason, try the soup. And bring some back for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

srah - Friday, 11 August 2006 - 12:11 PM
Tags: , , , , , ,

gravatar Marianna - August 11, 2006 - 12:38 PM -

This is really random, but Katie from sojoyful used to post on here and I haven't seen her in a long time and her website is down. I enjoy reading both yours and her blog. Do you know what happened to her?

gravatar srah - August 11, 2006 - 1:22 PM -

She went to grad school and forgot us alllllllllllllllllllll! *cries*

gravatar Jen Dively - August 11, 2006 - 2:26 PM -

You should e-mail the restaurant and beg for mail order soup deliveries...OR try this... http://www.greatdivide.com/thebeers/beergorgonzolasoup.htm

gravatar srah - August 11, 2006 - 3:11 PM -

I totally bookmarked that exact site right before I blogged about the soup! Psychic!

gravatar mike - August 11, 2006 - 3:13 PM -

bookmarked it? maybe you should del.icio.us it!!!

*waits for rimshot*

gravatar srah - August 11, 2006 - 3:16 PM -

Actually, I "bookmarked" it in del.icio.us. So you lose! Take back the rimshot!

gravatar srah - August 11, 2006 - 3:19 PM -

Or rather NO RIMSHOT FOR YOU!

/rimshot nazi

gravatar Jen Dively - August 11, 2006 - 3:33 PM -

I'm totally clueless on this delicious thing, but more fun for all. You can make the soup in a crock pot so it cooks WHILE you are at work...technology rules! Food Network has nothing on Ohio refugees!

gravatar srah - August 11, 2006 - 3:36 PM -

Del.icio.us is like saving your bookmarks online instead of in your browser, so you can access them from anywhere and your friends can see the cool stuff you found in the tubes of the Internets. Check it out! I'll wait.

Hooray crock pots! Hooray beer! (In soup.)

/Red Stripe guy

gravatar Jen Dively - August 11, 2006 - 3:57 PM -

So it's like an online communicable disease of interests...how...appealing! Okay going home now...will comment immensely later!

gravatar J - August 11, 2006 - 10:32 PM -

Either South Dakota secretly has the best food in the world, or they're capitalizing on an impossible location. The most satisfying meal I've ever had was from Mitchell, South Dakota. I was so hungry and exhausted from driving I stopped early for the night and got some Chinese takeout. Never has a meal and sleep been so appreciated.

gravatar srah - August 12, 2006 - 9:58 AM -

It is true; we were starving, and I think we had just driven through the Badlands. Hmmmmm.

gravatar Daddy - August 12, 2006 - 4:12 PM -

I searched the internet and found this recipe for you:

Gorgonzola Ale Soup

2 lb peeled red potatoes (1 kg)
3/4 lb peeled and diced yellow onions (375 g)
4 cups chicken stock (1 L)
1 pint Arapahoe Amber Ale
3/4 lb Gorgonzola cheese (375 g)
1 pint heavy cream (500 ml)
1 tbsp salt (15 ml)
2 tsp ground white pepper (10 ml)
4 tsp cornstarch (20 ml)

Boil the potatoes and onions in water until the potatoes become slightly mushy and then drain, saving the water. Puree the potatoes and onions, adding potato water as necessary until the mixture becomes smooth. In the meantime, bring the chicken stock and Arapahoe Amber Ale to a boil in a large pot, reduce the heat and gradually add the Gorgonzola cheese, whipping with a whisk to make the mixture smooth. Next, add the cream, and, gradually, the potato mixture, again whipping to make the mixture smooth. Bring the pot to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer before adding the salt and pepper. Dissolve the cornstarch in a little water and slowly add it to the soup, whisking gently. Simmer for at least 10 minutes prior to serving. Feeds 8-10 people, 3 Water buffalo, or…..Ted Kennedy (if served with a bottle of Absolute!).

gravatar srah - August 12, 2006 - 5:45 PM -

These recipes are all pretty huge. Who ever needs to feed soup to Ted Kennedy?