Previous entry:
« Eichhörnchen!

Pop your tops?

Dear Kid With His Collar Popped Up Having Brunch With His Parents At the Sheraton This Morning,

I have recently become aware of the "collar-popping" trend that, it would appear, is taking the nation's young people by storm. Clearly I have gotten old, because I wasn't even aware this was happening until I read an article about a club in D.C. that's banning it.

As far as I can tell, it started as some sort of ironic throwback to the 80s and has now become mainstream - sort of like when I was in middle school and said "like" all the time to make fun of the whole Valley Girl/Midwestern faux Valley Girl scene and then it became part of my everyday vocabulary and now I say it, like, all the time.

However you, Kid With His Collar Popped Up Having Brunch With His Parents At the Sheraton This Morning, are not allowed to make ironic references to the 1980s. You aren't making a statement against the preppy kids you went to school with in the 80s. I would wager that you were born in about 1991¹.

The saddest thing about you, Kid With His Collar Popped Up Having Brunch With His Parents At the Sheraton This Morning, is that whether you are making a statement or following a stupid trend, you are still not doing it well. I would have thought you were just a dork wearing his shirt wrong, but you had this 80s throwback terry-cloth wristband on, which led me to to believe that you were, in fact, trying to be trendy or fashionable or stylish or something. But no, Kid With His Collar Popped Up Having Brunch With His Parents At the Sheraton This Morning. If you are going to go so far as to attempt to be trendy with your collar and your accessories, you can't pair them with pants whose tapered ankles hover several inches above your shoes. It is as though the top half of your body is saying, "Man, it sucks that I have to go to brunch with my parents when I could be loitering outside Abercrombie & Fitch with my peeps²" and the bottom half is saying, "Man, it sucks that I have to go to brunch with my parents when I could be recalibrating my erector set³."

–––––
¹ I feel old.
² Or homies or pepys or whatever the kids are calling their friends these days.
³ This wasn't intended to be a euphemism, but... heh heh. I said "erector."

srah - Sunday, 2 October 2005 - 12:05 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar Cari - October 2, 2005 - 6:39 PM -

Weren't tapered pants stylish in the 80s? Although I don't think that part of 80s fashion has made it's way back into the mainstream. My bro and his housemates had a party where they were making fun of frat boys and girls, and all the guys wore multiple polo shirts layered with the collars sticking out.

gravatar Noor - October 2, 2005 - 10:09 PM -

For some reason, your post reminds me of this poem.

gravatar srah - October 2, 2005 - 11:55 PM -

??????

gravatar katie - October 3, 2005 - 7:57 AM -

There's got to be a sectional award for Best Blog Post Ending. Because you'd win it with this one, at least in my opinion.

gravatar srah - October 3, 2005 - 10:05 AM -

Um, thanks?

gravatar alfie - October 4, 2005 - 10:27 AM -

I'm sad I missed it.

gravatar Allison - October 4, 2005 - 2:04 PM -

Actually, that collar trend has been in style for at least a year, (which I know due to the several-year distance between me and my younger sister.) I told her when I saw it once that the trend looked dumb/stupid/retarded and she shouldn't do it anymore because it's not flattering. It worked when she was in my presence.

As for tapered pants, they are a trend again, but not really until spring 2006. However, the resemble pants from the 50's or 60's and not the 80's, thank goodness.

In any case, most trends pan out after a year, so if this kid is still doing it, he's probably out of style already.

gravatar Fraulein N - October 5, 2005 - 10:42 AM -

Tapered pants can make a comeback all they want, but there's no way in hell they're going on my body.

gravatar jamelah - October 6, 2005 - 9:41 AM -

Have you seen this?

Heh. It's proof that there truly is a Flickr group for EVERYTHING.