Fiction fan

I haven't written any fiction since high school and this November will be full of moving, adjusting to a new job and apartment and going to conferences and weddings. Sounds like a great NaNoWriMo formula!

I've been saying for years, "I'm too busy this November. I'll do it next year." I even said it when I was in Vichy, working 12 hours a week - just because I didn't own a laptop at that time.

So this year, I'm actually going to take the extra step of declaring myself a NaNoWriMo contestant, reading No Plot? No Problem! and taking a crack at noveling. I probably won't finish it, but at least I will have given it a shot and realized how much work I'll have to put into it next year!

So who's with me?

srah - Friday, 7 October 2005 - 10:01 AM
Tags: , ,

gravatar J - October 7, 2005 - 10:30 AM -

Hmmm...been thinking about it. I'll either do it, or make up a moral objection between now and then.

gravatar katie - October 7, 2005 - 6:58 PM -

You know I'd love to, if it weren't for this thing called, you know, graduate school.

Can I say that I did my NaNoWriMo during the month of August?

gravatar Cheryl - October 7, 2005 - 8:03 PM -

Is that fiction in high school Betty V. Molly by any chance?

gravatar jamelah - October 8, 2005 - 8:20 AM -

I've been thinking about doing it, just to be involved in something that would make me do some writing, but then, I've been thinking about doing NaNoWriMo for a few years now, and I never seem to get beyond the thinking phase.

gravatar srah - October 8, 2005 - 11:20 AM -

I haven't even gotten to thinking. Like, I have no idea what I'm going to write about and I'm sure that I'll have no idea what I'm going to write about on October 31. I'll just make myself start writing and see where it goes from there. Stream of consciousness novel!

gravatar Fraulein N - October 10, 2005 - 12:16 PM -

I keep saying "Next year" too. I think I need to just jump on in, already.

gravatar Mr B------ - October 10, 2005 - 8:01 PM -

If you need ideas for your stream of consciousness novel:

1. Pick a classic work of literature (the older the better)
  2. Pick a persona that you helped develop at some point during SI
  3. Rewrite that classic as a day in the life of that persona.

gravatar srah - October 10, 2005 - 8:03 PM -

Egad! Personae!

gravatar Allison - October 11, 2005 - 12:40 AM -

Sounds cool. Yeah, maybe I'll join you. Hey, maybe we'll be in the same region.... (If I do it.)

gravatar Allison - October 11, 2005 - 12:43 AM -

BTW, like how many pages is 50,000 words? 50? 100? I'm grossely underestimating, aren't I?

gravatar srah - October 11, 2005 - 12:48 AM -

Apparently Brave New World is approximately 50,000 words long. I don't know how long it would turn out to be when written, for example, in 12 point Times New Roman on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper with 1" margins. I imagine it would be fewer pages than a published edition of BNW has...