Next entry:
Fiction fan »

God knows the temperature's hot enough...

This damned egg needs to hatch already. I'm this close to taking a chisel to it, for heaven's sake.

Basically, the egg has hatched. The little birdie (not a chicken, as it turns out, but a redhawk) is poking its beak through the shell. I can see the chick, but it's not quite all the way out yet.

-- Enough of the damned egg metaphor!

I sent my cover letter and resume to the school heretofore known as Another Ohio Institution¹ by email on Saturday, September 3 at 1:53pm. At 2:01, the director of the office wrote back to say that I was just what they were looking for. Things went along just duckily - he called and talked to my current boss and my other references, then invited me down for an interview. Once I got down there, he told me that I was the first person they were interviewing for the position and that they had not even lined up any other interviews at that point - that I was to be the candidate to whom all other candidates would be compared.

No pressure!

Drinking all of that water must have done the trick, because they called me two days after my interview to say that they weren't going to interview anyone else and that they were recommending me for hire.

In the interest of not counting poultry before it's hatched, I took the two phone interviews and one on-site interview that I'd already lined up at other schools. I hesitated to say anything here until it was more certain. The recommendation went through all the proper channels and - apparently - my offer was mailed last Friday. Ahem! It's now Thursday and I still haven't received it, but in the meantime I've driven down to Ohio and found an apartment and picked out my computer hardware and all that.

Now I just have to wait for the damned letter and hope that there isn't some fine print requiring me to eat babies every day because seriously, that would get old after about four days and I'd have to switch to puppies.

–––––
¹ I haven't decided yet how public I'm going to be about the school I'm going to be working at. You can easily figure out what it is, but I haven't quite figured out how my blog is going to change as I enter the professional world and I'm not ready to say the name out loud here and get it all Google-indexed and suchwhat.

srah - Thursday, 6 October 2005 - 10:20 PM

gravatar Noor - October 7, 2005 - 8:22 AM -

Congratulations! The apartment looks very nice.

I'm sad that you're leaving, though! :(

When do you start?

gravatar srah - October 7, 2005 - 8:31 AM -

I start work on the 21st and my lease starts on the 14th, so I'll probably be back and forth all that week.

You have ONE TNATMOW LEFT!!!! :)

gravatar EV - October 7, 2005 - 9:57 AM -

Yay, congrats! When I worked at a university, I never wrote the name on my blog, but occasionally mentioned things like "ivy league" and "Massachusetts". So you know, whatever.

gravatar J - October 7, 2005 - 10:26 AM -

Congratulations! That's great news, except that it's in Ohio and not, say, some other state somewhat further south. Don't worry about fine print, puppies can be dee-lish!

gravatar Not Your MOM - October 7, 2005 - 2:42 PM -

I would never live in OH and you will most likely regret it too. However, I realize you have to take a job when it is offered. Congrats!! :-)

gravatar Not Your MOM - October 7, 2005 - 4:38 PM -

Due to your little clue and help from my son and a friend who is from OH, I just checked out your new job/university online. Very impressive. I think you will like it there and it isn't so far away that you can't drive home for the weekend or friends and family can visit you. Mr. B****** once had family living in that area.

gravatar Aunt Pat - October 7, 2005 - 5:55 PM -

Congratulations! I'm very excited for you! The apartment looks very nice.

gravatar uncle scott aka scott aka Rover aka Pat's Husband - October 7, 2005 - 6:05 PM -

I was just informed that you will be joining the workforce. I offer my congratulations and salutions...After all these years obtaining academic Goals, it is about time you entered the real world and learned how the other half lives...

(I understand that all these years in academia enabled you to find this position , etc etc etc... ya ya... whatever... just glad you got here.. now we can talk about 401k's , vacation time etc, ... not to mention that you will shortly uunderstand the term retirement and the fruits it may bear)

Welcome to the real WORLD

your Uncle, and all the other AKAs

Scott

gravatar srah - October 7, 2005 - 6:41 PM -

I only just learned that TIAA and CREF are two different things! I still don't know what they are, though.

This is a time for much rapid learning about grownup stuff.

gravatar katie - October 7, 2005 - 6:54 PM -

Well congrats. Although I have to say, been there, done that. And hopin' never to world at a university again. But you'll enjoy learning all the adult 'having a home' stuff. It's cool to have your own place. Now you can throw raves!

gravatar Not Your MOM - October 7, 2005 - 10:57 PM -

Do you need anything for Your First Apartment? I might have extra furniture or a vacuum cleaner or something you can use. Let me know. Or has your mom been shopping garage sales and holding onto stuff for the day you move out and get your own place? :-)

gravatar denzylle - October 8, 2005 - 9:36 AM -

The clue flew out of the page. Even Denz in England - who knows nothing about American unis - managed to figure it out.

Sad that you're not gonnae be in *********, tho', as I'd like to have used my favorite Ohio quote...

Congratulations on growing up at last. :)

gravatar srah - October 8, 2005 - 11:22 AM -

What the heck is your favorite Ohio quote? *thinks for JH or Paul Simon references*

gravatar Jamie - October 8, 2005 - 2:06 PM -

Congratulations again! Although I kind of knew it. And it's great that you found an apartment that quick.
And won't you miss Zingerman's?

gravatar denzylle - October 8, 2005 - 4:51 PM -

Well, I cannae tell you, 'cos it has a city in it and it'll give away where you're *not* going - which kind of narrows it down a wee bit for any lousy detectives / stalkers who havnae figured it out.

gravatar srah - October 8, 2005 - 6:44 PM -

There's a hillion jillion cities in Ohio. It's Cleveland, isn't it? That's the only one I can think of with nine letters.

gravatar srah - October 8, 2005 - 6:45 PM -

Zingerman's has mail order!

gravatar Noor - October 8, 2005 - 10:39 PM -

what the heck does TNATMOW mean?!?

gravatar sarah - October 9, 2005 - 2:16 AM -

cooooooooooooooooool! congratulations! what are you going to be doing? when do you start? congrats!

gravatar denzylle - October 9, 2005 - 5:32 PM -

'No, I'm not dead. I'm just in Cleveland.' (said in a resigned fashion as if he might as well be...)

'O.T.P.' (1980)

gravatar alfie - October 10, 2005 - 11:51 AM -

Just because you're leaving doesn't mean that TNATMOWs have to end. Mom and Dad can just randomly adopt college students!

gravatar srah - October 10, 2005 - 3:30 PM -

Ha ha! See also the children's book The Stupids Die: "This isn't heaven! This is Cleveland!"