Next entry:
Dream »

Speaking of frequent flyer miles...

The job search appears to be picking up as we approach the beginning of a new school year and institutions of higher-education get their hiring-education processes in gear.

Last week I applied for a job at an Unidentified Ohio College on Monday. They called back on Tuesday and left a voice mail that I didn't get until after work on Wednesday. They called again on Thursday and set up a phone interview for Friday. When I told my boss about my interview, he informed me that Another Ohio University had called him up for a reference earlier that day.

This Monday, I got a call from Unidentified Pennsylvania University asking, in the same breath, whether I was still interested in the position and which day from August 1-4 would be most convenient for me to fly down for an interview. No phone interview! Maybe they'd talked to UOC and realized that a phone interview was a bad idea. So I organized a trip down there for the 2nd and 3rd and bought my ticket on Tuesday.

This morning I got another invitation for an on-campus interview from Another Ohio University. They offered an interview for August 2 and I had to turn it down (I've been free all summer and they pick one of two days that I've committed to something else!) and ask if we could do it another day instead.

So now it looks like I'll be flying out to Pennsylvania on the 2nd, returning on the 3rd, flying to Columbus (via Chicago) on the 4th and returning the night of the 5th. Whoo!

I just hope something comes of all this...

srah - Thursday, 21 July 2005 - 11:57 AM

gravatar somewhat - July 21, 2005 - 1:09 PM -

YAY! Good moves, Unidentified Colleges :-)

gravatar jday - July 21, 2005 - 1:41 PM -

Good luck!

gravatar Aunt Pam - July 21, 2005 - 1:43 PM -

Oh Oh Oh! Is it Philly????? Is it?

gravatar srah - July 21, 2005 - 1:50 PM -

Alas, it's in Unidentified Pennsylvania Town With No Rita's Franchise.

There's one in Columbus, though, so maybe I'll have an opportunity to get some between the airport and Unidentified Ohio Town Where Another Ohio University Is Located.

gravatar Not Your MOM - July 21, 2005 - 2:19 PM -

Good luck! In-person interviews are good! Also, once you get experience at the unidentified towns with no good stores you can move on to the Identified Towns with Good Stores.

gravatar jamelah - July 21, 2005 - 3:06 PM -

hurrah for all these interviews! it's fab, being so in demand, hm? best of luck and all that.

gravatar Jamie - July 21, 2005 - 3:22 PM -

All the best luck. And - of course - a lot of fun!

gravatar Mr B. - July 21, 2005 - 3:29 PM -

Have you been aiming for Ohio and Pennsylvania, or is this just a coincidence?

Good job!

gravatar srah - July 21, 2005 - 3:32 PM -

Certainly not Pennsylvania! No, they just happen to be the ones that are biting so far!

gravatar katie - July 21, 2005 - 4:20 PM -

"maybe I'll have an opportunity to get some between the airport and Unidentified Ohio Town..."

Are you really that desperate? Have you tried online dating?

;)

gravatar Tony - July 21, 2005 - 4:56 PM -

I felt like this thread was goading me into a response; hence, I've activated my defense mechanism. Always with the negative PA comments. Unless the ground opened up and ate my family, then grinned and laughed at me (after belching), I don't think I'd have such abhorrance for a location. You should go there, live for a while then come up with some solid reasons not to like the place. For example, that's what I'm doing with Michigan :-P j/k. There, I've stood up for my homeland.

And Katie, what makes you think that 'getting some' will be any easier with people who use online dating. I may be cheap and easy but that doesn't go for everyone else on there! :-P

gravatar Sylvie - July 21, 2005 - 9:21 PM -

Good luck!

gravatar Cari - July 21, 2005 - 9:26 PM -

I think she meant getting some water ice between airport and hotel :-p. And Columbus sounds eerily like "The Ohio University" (eek!). But then they read your Michigan resume so that must mean you are super amazing. But wow! I hope you get something out of these trips!

gravatar kira - July 21, 2005 - 9:57 PM -

Ahem. If you will be within the greater (and I do mean greater) Philadelphia area, I would be delighted to hook up. This is me offering to ride a train for a semi-long while (well, not Amtrak maybe) to see you and say hello). So please let me know, dear. :) And check out Uarts--they're in Philly, and I haven't fully checked out the description, but I know they're hiring for an International something...so check it out and maybe you will find a worthy thingum to check out. 'Cause I can't. And it's a great place to work, or so I've heard. Anywho... Lemme know.

gravatar Tony - July 21, 2005 - 10:44 PM -

I love it when Cari states the obvious so we all know it was just fake innuendo, not real. :-P I see CA hasn't changed her very much...yet.

Srah, your mission is now to go get some in the airport to prove Cari wrong!

gravatar Pauly D - July 22, 2005 - 12:52 AM -

Fingers crossed for you!

Can you record that phone interview for humor sake purposes?

gravatar O - July 22, 2005 - 6:32 AM -

Good luck with the interviews!! You know, I'll come visit you wherever you end up :)

gravatar katie - July 22, 2005 - 9:59 AM -

I lived in PA for six months Couldn't wait to go home. I think it was the driving times...it takes FOREVER to get from Anytown, PA to anywhere else in the world!

I wouldn't know about online dating. I'm too busy trying to help srah get some to actually try my own luck.

gravatar Aunt Pam - July 22, 2005 - 10:13 AM -

No matter if you don't get to sample Water Ice dear niece . . . you are getting opportunity to strut yer stuff and I wish you all the best.

But I will do cartwheels if you ever wind up in my beloved Philadelphia. If only for a season!

gravatar Tony - July 22, 2005 - 10:38 AM -

That's funny, last time I checked 65 mph was 65 mph in PA, in VT, in MI,...pretty much anywhere. In general, I think if the state is a little bigger and has more to offer in the way of land, driving times are increased. So I guess you are saying you have a requirement that the area of the state be less than or equal to VT for it to be acceptable. Oooooooook, alrighty then.

I guess if I ever go to VT I'll have to be careful or I might miss it, since I'm so used to having plenty of time to admire the scenery. :-P

gravatar katie - July 22, 2005 - 12:30 PM -

Don't worry. The scenery is so awesome in Vermont that you'll be slamming on your brakes every 2 minutes to stare at its beauty and majesty. PA doesn't even come close.

And I think PA has some weird time-dilation effect going on. Even if I sped up to 75 or even 85 mph, I never seemed to get anywhere any faster.

gravatar srah - July 22, 2005 - 1:50 PM -

I'm only teasing, Pennsylvania! A jovial rivalry, what what!

... but I do hate the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

gravatar Tony - July 22, 2005 - 5:04 PM -

Come to think of it, I have noticed that about VT drivers. Start-stop-start-stop. Just clogging up my beautiful PA highways. If you're looking for the cause of your time-dilation, my dear, that would be it. Generally you move faster if you're not applying the breaks. It's bad on your transmission too so you might want to try a driving school in PA to learn the 'proper' way to drive :-D

So much for apologizing 3x about M*A*S*H, huh?

gravatar katie - July 22, 2005 - 8:40 PM -

LOL!

Ok, you win. I'm a sucky driver. :)

gravatar Tony - July 22, 2005 - 9:06 PM -

You didn't even have to tell me that - I know nothing of your driving skills...but now that I do - HA! And even though it's not all about winning or losing - I WON I WON I WON, NA-NA NA-NA NA NA :-P

You're a good sport. Thumbs up to you!

* As a general comment, I also noticed that I misspelled brakes as breaks which is totally unacceptable to me even in a blog post. There, I recognized and corrected it - only one apology this time though. The only excuse I have is that it was at the end of a very long week.

gravatar katie - July 23, 2005 - 8:00 AM -

Well then, it's a good thing this isn't a blog post, but instead is only comments. We wouldn't want you to publicly embarrass yourself.

Sorry you had a bad week. :(

gravatar srah - July 23, 2005 - 10:49 AM -

My comments are so popular lately! Please keep it up, commenters! :)

gravatar Cari - July 23, 2005 - 2:09 PM -

I was driving over the San Mateo bridge to go over the bay the other day (first time mind you) and I was going slowly to observe the scenery. It was so beautiful. but everyone was getting annoyed with me. I was supposed to be going 65 mph. Oops!

gravatar Jason - July 25, 2005 - 2:39 AM -

Sounds to me like you are very much in demand. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just go to those interviews and knock 'em dead. For the most part, it sounds like you already have!

gravatar apete - July 25, 2005 - 3:23 PM -

Cari, how slow were you going? 55 would irritate me off but 35 might drive me over the edge...and that isn't good on a bridge! Just remember if you go too slow on a bridge, you'll blow right off! :)

gravatar Tony - July 25, 2005 - 8:07 PM -

Well, she might not just get blown off. Considering she's in CA, if she takes too long going over the bridge, it increases the probability that the Big One hits when she's on it and then it's a long way down into the drink!

Let's keep going and see if we can get this post up to 100 comments! Who else is game?

gravatar Tony - July 26, 2005 - 9:05 AM -

...I guess not. And so it dies at 32. I guess.

gravatar apete - July 26, 2005 - 4:21 PM -

*performing CPR*

gravatar srah - July 26, 2005 - 6:24 PM -

*dances*

gravatar Tony - July 27, 2005 - 8:52 PM -

No one must have liked your dancing.

Give her CPR again Andy, I know it's a hardship.

gravatar srah - July 28, 2005 - 10:48 AM -