Next entry:
Dream »

Rule #1: Sarah is always right. Rule #2: If Sarah is wrong, see rule #1.

Dear Internet,

I would like your assistance in a little argument that apete and I are having:

If you use one of these machines to make something consisting of pie filling between two slices of bread, is the resulting confection a sandwich or a pie?

I will refrain from sharing which of the arguments is mine (and therefore correct) until you have discussed it amongst yourself. I'm sure that you will all come to the correct conclusion.

srah - Thursday, 14 July 2005 - 4:24 PM
Tags: , , , , ,

gravatar NeighborGuy - July 14, 2005 - 4:34 PM -

Well, if it wasn't toasted, I'd say you've got a sandwitch, like PB&J without the PB.

Sticking it on one of "those" though, with pie filling, and the result is something akin to a McDonalds' pie.

Bread and Pie Crust, though, are not really the same thing at all. No Yeastie Beasties in a pie crust, afaik.

So, what you've got there, clearly, is a Grilled Pie Sandwitch.

gravatar Jamie - July 14, 2005 - 5:09 PM -

Sandwich. Sheesh. Easy.

gravatar Amy - July 14, 2005 - 6:48 PM -

It's a pie by default because it has pie filling.

gravatar J - July 14, 2005 - 8:31 PM -

A pastry is defined as pie if it contains (1) a generally accepted pie filling, and (2) a flakey delicious crust. One cannot have pie without these two components, and both have significant importance. Neither can be omitted. Knowing what I do about these sandwich making machines (which may be incorrect knowledge, please correct me if I am in error), the machine simple toasts the bread to make it crispy. It is NOT making it flakey and delicious. If you are using bread, this does not transform into an acceptable pie crust, it's just toast, and therefore a sandwich (albeit a tasty one). You'd have to use some kind of pie crust, and the sandwich maker would be used to bake it.

gravatar somewhat - July 14, 2005 - 8:33 PM -

It's a sandwich. If it's between two slices of bread, it's a sandwich; if it's in pastry, it's a pie. Regardless of the filling. I mean, if you ate a can of pie filling straight out the can with a fork, that wouldn't be a pie, would it?

I will add that you can (or used to be able to, I'm not finding them now to support my story) in the UK be able to get something VERY like a toastie maker that actually did make pies, complete with crimped edges to the crust and everything.

gravatar Sylvie - July 14, 2005 - 9:11 PM -

It's a pie sandwich. Not a pie because it has no pie crust and not a sandwich because it has pie filling.

gravatar O - July 15, 2005 - 5:27 AM -

Sandwich, there's no question about it. Pie can't have its top detached from the bottom.
Plus, there could be tuna pie... But if you stick bread and tuna in this machine, it will still make a tuna sandwich!

Toasted tuna. Ewwww.... disgusting!

gravatar Amy - July 15, 2005 - 8:19 AM -

The pre-electric versions used by campers everywhere are called "pie makers." You heat the two cast iron sides in the fire, butter both sides, put in the bread (squishy white kind), put on the filling (pizza sauce, apple, blueberry. . . ) then squeeze together and put in the fire to toast. Yummmmmm.

I would call it a pie maker just because that's what the thing used in the campfire was called.

gravatar srah - July 15, 2005 - 8:27 AM -

That's two votes for pie from two different Amys! I think you people with A-y names stick together!

gravatar Sylvie - July 15, 2005 - 8:56 AM -

It might be the same Amu. And, I grew up using thata contraption and it was called a sandwich maker!

gravatar Sylvie - July 15, 2005 - 8:57 AM -

And, now I have to buy one for my new place!

gravatar srah - July 15, 2005 - 8:59 AM -

If I know my commenters, they're two different Amys. :)

Yes, it's a sandwich maker, but I didn't want to skew the results by calling it that. When I was in college, we would put pancake mix in one of those and make triangular pancakes. They weren't sandwiches OR pies.

gravatar apete - July 15, 2005 - 9:54 AM -

I think we prefer to be known as A*y people.

gravatar Not Your MOM - July 15, 2005 - 11:03 AM -

I agree that a pie has to have a pastry crust. Bread is not pastry so anything that is made with bread, no matter how you fix it is still a sandwich. Except for Bread Pudding.

gravatar jamelah - July 15, 2005 - 12:50 PM -

You know, it's arguable if the stuff that passes as pie filling and gets put in pastry crusts even counts as pie. I would say it doesn't, but this is because I am a pie purist. As such, I have to say that putting pie filling between two slices of bread and calling it pie is like putting pants on a racoon and calling it a toddler.

Thank you.

gravatar Amy (the first one) - July 15, 2005 - 1:38 PM -

First of all, there are two separate Amy's, both very knowledgable on the subject of "what makes a pie a pie."

Second of all... when you use a lot of butter and put in pie filling, the bread really loses most of it's bread-like qualities and is somewhat more like a flaky crust.

gravatar Tony - July 15, 2005 - 2:39 PM -

From an engineering perspective, I think the definition of sandwich and pie is defined by the materials used to make the end product and not the implement in which you make it. This is merely a heat source, just like an oven, both of which can be used to toast sandwiches or pies. For instance, I can reheat leftovers in a pie plate sans crust and the result is not a pie, it's warm leftovers.

From a hungry male perspective, I really don't care if it's a sandwich or pie. Is it edible? Is it warm? Is it tasty? Good, let's eat!

gravatar Sylvie - July 15, 2005 - 3:20 PM -

Does putting truckloads of Nutella between two pieces of bread make it a candybar?

gravatar srah - July 15, 2005 - 3:31 PM -

"Putting pie filling between two slices of bread and calling it pie is like putting pants on a racoon and calling it a toddler."

This is even funnier than apete's argument:

apete: It has pie filling in it, so it's a pie.
me: So if you ate a can of pie filling, would you be a pie?
apete: Yes.

gravatar Sylvie - July 15, 2005 - 3:45 PM -

So, is a BLT sandwich really a salad?

gravatar srah - July 15, 2005 - 4:05 PM -

Wha?

gravatar Sylvie - July 15, 2005 - 4:44 PM -

bacon, lettuce, tomatoes = salad. So, a BLT should be a salad.

gravatar Anonymous - July 15, 2005 - 5:46 PM -

And the bread is a couple of giant croutons!

gravatar Cheryl - July 16, 2005 - 3:05 PM -

Too many comments to read, so maybe this has already been said...I'd say sandwich, because it's a SANDWICH maker. But if you were to do the exact same thing using one of those campfire PIE makers, then I'd say pie.

gravatar Rdawg - July 17, 2005 - 9:06 AM -

It is such a sandwich. The pie filling arguement is so week. I put the words "pie filling" into foodtv's reciepe search and found 64 entries 29 of which were not called pies. Would the custard from a boston cream pie put inside a sweet bread and fried be called a pie? or a "long john donut"?