My (shameful?) escape to Prince Edward Island

Please tie your shoes, because you are going to want to sprint away as far as you can get from me and my blog. You may then wish to shower in order to cleanse yourself and perhaps to rinse out your eyes in order to recover from the horror which I am about to type:

This summer, I have really gotten into reading Anne of Green Gables fan fiction.

Oh my god. I actually wrote it down.

In general, I find that fan fiction is rubbish. The characters do things they never would have done under the original author's power, the authors are (or write like they are) fifteen years old and have no idea how to write dialogue or develop a plot or character. Sometimes - travesty of travesties! - dreadful fan fiction even gets published.

However, I've been quite pleasantly surprised by some of the fan fiction I've found in the L.M. Montgomery section - it seems as though some of those people who love Anne enough to continue the stories are also talented writers (maybe this is why they identify with Anne and with Lucy Maud...). This isn't to say that there isn't complete shit being written about Anne of Green Gables, but just to say that I am caught up in several of the good stories.

As far as authors go, my favorite so far goes by the pseudonym ruby gillis. She has captured L.M. Montgomery's voice such that I almost never remember I'm reading fan fiction rather than a new discovery in the Anne of Green Gables series. Most of her stories feature Anne's children and grandchildren, picking up where the series left off or filling in gaps in the middle. The Blythes, Merediths, Fords and Wrights are rather disturbingly intermingled, marriagewise, but considering the rest of the stories and the behavior of other characters in the original books, this near-incestuousness is probably to be expected. Best of all, they aren't finished. It's like a soap opera and I have to wait patiently for the next installment, whenever it comes out.

So, yes. Please feel free to come back in a week, when this entry will have left the front page and you can read my blog again without wanting to claw your eyes out. Hopefully.

srah - Friday, 17 June 2005 - 3:49 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar alfie - June 17, 2005 - 4:02 PM -

Hey! That book gave me something to read while everyone else went to Mass when I was in Chicago.

gravatar alfie - June 17, 2005 - 4:04 PM -

Ew. There's actually a positive review for the Emma thing.

gravatar Lori - June 18, 2005 - 12:46 PM -

Someone should take matters into their own hands & rid us of Emma Tennant. I am convinced that Austen herself would write a wonderfully scathing review of Tennant's horrible sequels. However, I must admit I am susceptible to JA fanfic & guiltily read most published works I can get my hands on. I found myself drawn to a sequel most often when the purists profess "outrage" and "scandelouness." Linda Berdoll's Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife is one that fits this description. Pathetic, I know, but "scandal" and "outrage" are definitely the way to attract my attention.

gravatar jr - June 19, 2005 - 12:47 AM -

they have fanfic for everyone now

gravatar katie - June 22, 2005 - 3:17 PM -

Don't feel so bad. I resort to reading Star Wars fanfic when I am in a dreadfully bored mood. The problem is that most of it degenerates into homosexual slash fic pretty darn quick, and that does not interest me in the slightest. Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan/Darth Maul... How come there's never any Obi-Wan/Katie?

gravatar Erica M - June 23, 2005 - 2:49 PM -

*blink*blink*

I had no idea such a thing existed. But I guess there is fanfic for pretty much everything. I started out reading X-Files FF and I've read a ton of Xena FF (and there's a ton of it that's been published). I've even learned to abbreviate it to "fanfic" and "FF."