'And the lovetrain rides from coast to coast/ DJ's the man we love the most'

I love this strange freedom that radio stations have to change formats and target demographics suddenly and without warning. You don't really see that anywhere else. Keds doesn't wake up one day and decide it's going to shift its focus from soccer moms to young urban males.*

Earlier this week, WDRQ (local hip-hop/top 40 station) changed format and became Doug FM. Usually when you say a station has changed format, it really just means that they've changed their music selection and target audience. In this case, they really have changed the format of the station. Now it's basically a huge iPod Shuffle, with a vast selection of music from the 1960s to today that just plays all day long. They fired the whole staff so there are no DJs, there's no morning show - there's just music and commercials.

No DJs? No morning show? Sweet bliss.

I would like DJs if they did what they were supposed to do: play music, tell me what they had played, then shut up and play some more music. I don't need them to spend five minutes detailing exactly what they think of each contestant on American Idol. That's what I read blogs for. When I'm in the car, I want something I can crank up and sing my head off with**, not you yapping. But I don't know of many DJs who do what I want them to do - they're all trying to be radio personalities instead, blathering on about themselves as if we were in some way emotionally attached to them.

Don't even get me started on morning shows and rush-hour drive-home shows. These would be good if they were informative. Morning shows could tell you, in between songs, what the weather is so as to make your daily clothing selection decision an informed one. They could tell you about big news stories. They could tell you about the traffic so that you knew which routes to take. They do do*** this but they also feel it necessary to yap on a lot more about a lot of things no one cares about and do terribly "entertaining" things like prank calling people. I think morning/rush hour show hosts are just failed comedians and actors (see "Bonaduce, Danny") who are taking advantage of our ears to try out their material and who end up demonstrating why they have failed.

I AM TALKING TO YOU, TOM RYAN. YOU ARE NOT FUNNY. YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN FUNNY. ATTENTION, WOMC AND THEIR ADVERTISERS: WHEN I HEAR TOM RYAN'S VOICE, I CHANGE THE STATION IMMEDIATELY. THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW.****

So in conclusion, I think I'm becoming rather fond of Doug FM's new format. The only reason I'd mourn the absence of DJs is that there's no one there to answer the phones when I want request the Tears for Fears song that's been in my head for two days.

–––––
* Have just pictured Nelly as Keds' celebrity endorser. Hee hee hee hee hee.
** Like "Yellow Brick Road".
*** "Don't tell me about what you don't do; tell me about what you do do."
**** Personal vendettas: is there any other reason to have a blog?

srah - Thursday, 7 April 2005 - 10:11 AM
Tags: , , , , ,

gravatar Not Your MOM - April 7, 2005 - 10:55 AM -

I hate the new depersonalized stations. I want real people. I also like to listen to get their opinions on the latest AI bootee. If you want only music then listen to a CD in your car! :-)

gravatar srah - April 7, 2005 - 11:02 AM -

Don't have a CD player. :'( And I listen to the radio to hear music that I don't own!

gravatar Not Your MOM - April 7, 2005 - 12:14 PM -

My first car (red Mustang) had only an AM radio so I used to travel with a battery operated radio/tape player to listen to music.

I do find many of the morning talk show personalities annoying. I have settled on WNIC as it is fairly innocuous and no phone pranks. I listen to them while I eat breakfast and pretend they are there eating with me. Alex Tribec joins me for lunch.

gravatar Cheryl - April 7, 2005 - 12:24 PM -

I love this post.

I agree about morning shows. The best one I found was 89X, and a lot of that had to do with the fact that they ended at 9 instead of 10. All the Detroit ones are so asinine. I have found one here that's actually pretty tolerable. I will have to check out that Doug FM next time I'm in town.

Speaking of radio, they are doing the Old School Lunch Request and just played your favorite Meat Loaf tune. Unfortunately, they started it in the middle.

gravatar Cheryl - April 7, 2005 - 12:25 PM -

PS I was actually OK with that station, except on Techno Sundays.

gravatar Cheryl - April 7, 2005 - 12:25 PM -

PPS I also like the Friends quote.

gravatar srah - April 7, 2005 - 1:18 PM -

Do I have a favorite Meat Loaf tune? Does anyone have a favorite Meat Loaf tune?

gravatar Cheryl - April 7, 2005 - 2:34 PM -

It was the one about doing anything for love but not that. You outlined it one day in your blog.

gravatar srah - April 7, 2005 - 2:51 PM -

Ha! I guessed, because he only has one well-known song. I just wondered if there was an ancient story from our shared past about me hating Meat Loaf or something. Turns out it's the ancient past of last week.

gravatar Not Your MOM - April 7, 2005 - 3:19 PM -

What do you mean only one well-known song?! Meat Loaf was very popular in the 70's and had several well known songs.

gravatar NeighborGuy - April 7, 2005 - 4:05 PM -

Try 107.1. no idea if you are into that sort of music or not, but the DJ's there do like you describe.

gravatar srah - April 7, 2005 - 4:44 PM -

107.1 is pretty good. I think they got rid of Lucy Ann Lance, who was another of those people who would want to tell you how her cat was doing instead of playing music.

gravatar NeighborGuy - April 8, 2005 - 11:17 AM -

Hmm. That brings thoughts of a certain Mrs. Betty Slocombe to my mind. In particular, an episode concerning a CB radio, leather outfits, and a multi-colored wig.

gravatar Josh - April 8, 2005 - 3:11 PM -

Hey, I have some bad news. A little bird (who happens to work for a competing station) told me that 'Doug' is planning on hiring DJ's, so your period of Mega-Mac-Shuffle may be temporary. :(

gravatar Erica M - April 9, 2005 - 4:30 PM -

Not that I even live there anymore, but I'm bummed that DRQ is gone.