'Guess who sighs his lullabies/ Through nights that never end?'

We planned to leave at 9am, so I set my alarm for 7. I would have plenty of time to get myself ready and to repack all of my bags before retrieving the car from the parking garage.

Then I woke up at 6:15. By 6:30, I was wide awake with my eyes wide open, willing myself to go back to sleep. Alas, it was not to be, so I got up and puttered around in my suitcase until I could allow myself to go and shower.

Due to being wide awake, the morning's preparations went very quickly and by 8:10 I was sitting around with nothing to do. I got a cup of tea, then Mr B****** and I set off to get the car.

We got everyone down the stairs and packed into the car and had a few brief false starts, but then we hit the road. There was nothing spectacular about driving out of New York City on a Saturday morning. There wasn't much traffic so I didn't have to go crazy. We drove right through the Lincoln Tunnel without any of the stop-and-go we'd had the previous Saturday night and on to New Jersey.

We needed to get gas at some point, but we were afraid of getting gas in New Jersey, because they only have full-service stations and that made us uncomfortable. Do you tip? How much? Better to avoid it altogether.

Instead we continued across the Pennsylvania border and stopped at one of the first exits there. I was washing my hands in the women's restroom when this big old bearded guy came in, went into one of the stalls and started peeing with the door open! Women's bathroom! Door! Open! Get out, creepy man! I ran away.

When I came out of the bathroom, I discovered that the Taco Bell had broken a pipe and was covered in about a foot of water! No tacos for me! Instead I went to Subway and was served by a guy on his second day of work there. He was slow but well-meaning.

We hit the road again. Once I was in the driver's seat, I had no desire to relinquish control of the car or the radio, so I ended up driving from about 9am to 4pm, across several gas, bathroom and meal breaks. It was cool because I finally gave up the driver's seat in Ohio, so I got a chance to drive in every state. We ran into Noor and her car at one of our stops, which was even stranger when we realized they were coming from the Washington, DC ASB trip rather than the New York one.

We stopped at a rest area in Ohio and I went to the Starbucks to get tea. They were playing a Frank Sinatra CD and I couldn't help but sing and dance along to "Summer Wind." I think it was my favorite part of the journey home!

At one point, we were passed by another UM car and spotted Nnnick in the passenger seat. We called them and discovered that apparently it was a race and we were losing. Damn cheating archivists!

Once we got back to Ann Arbor, I started driving again and dropped off the last of the voyagers and left the car at transportation services. I got a ride home and showed off my photos.

srah - Saturday, 5 March 2005 - 11:59 PM
Tags: , , ,

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments (3)

gravatar Cheryl - March 8, 2005 - 10:48 AM -

Can one really "putter around" in a suitcase? I just picture you wandering around in it, only having to do small circles cause it's really not big enough for puttering.

gravatar srah - March 8, 2005 - 11:03 AM -

I think you and I have different definitions of putter. Mine is more akin to "fiddle."

gravatar Nick - March 9, 2005 - 11:28 PM -

Cannon ball run all over again. I can't believe we beat you with a 2 hour head start!

Blog Directory - Blogged