srah's Super Bowl halftime update

Who are you cheering for? I'm rooting for FedEx myself. Ah, that Burt Reynolds!

Oh... there's a football game on? Well, if I have to pick a team, I'll cheer for Philadelphia. I base this decision on absolutely no knowledge of professional football and the conviction that there's something creepy about Tom Brady.

Paul McCartney's halftime show is making me uncomfortable. I don't know what it is, but I feel very uneasy and on edge. It's like watching someone you know on stage - you want them to do very well, but there's this terrifying feeling that they will fail and you won't know what to say to them.

Which is odd, because I don't really envision having this confrontation with Sir Paul.

It was a lot easier when he did "Live and Let Die." This is probably because he was the most talented member of Wings and can carry their songs on his own. When he was singing Beatles songs, all I could think of was the voices and stage presences that were missing. That and he had a really crappy song selection: "Drive My Car" (which I hate) and "Get Back." They aren't exactly the biggest crowd-pleasers, but maybe Michael Jackson still owns all the big hits.

Well, it was pulled off without incident. No wardrobe malfunctions, but rather bland overall. Thanks, FCC, for making the whole world a little more boring.

Halftime's over - back to the main event...

srah - Sunday, 6 February 2005 - 8:29 PM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar Not Your MOM - February 6, 2005 - 10:11 PM -

This is odd, but you mirrored my thoughts exactly about the half time show. I was even waiting for old man McCartney to fall down or forget the words. Something embarrassing.

I didn't care for the song selection and thought about the missing Beatles. I thought it was all very bland. I also wondered if the smoke from the pyrotechnic display didn't hurt their eyes.

gravatar Kelly - February 6, 2005 - 10:34 PM -

Glad to see I'm not the only female who is not enamored with Tom Brady.

gravatar alfie - February 6, 2005 - 10:39 PM -

I didn't think he should sing any songs that he did not sing the original versions of. Hey Jude was fine, but any songs that are associated with John Lennon should not be attempted.

gravatar Cari - February 6, 2005 - 10:58 PM -

Go Pats!!!! Tom Brady did go to Michigan. And yes the halftime show was creepy...i guess they had to play it safe.

gravatar Jamie - February 7, 2005 - 8:19 AM -

Glad you also base your decision for the team you'll cheer for on absolutely random things. Like I like the name of the country better. Or their flag. Or the one wrong information I have.
Usually I just cheer for the team I think less people cheer for.

I so have no clue about sports.

gravatar Not Your MOM - February 7, 2005 - 9:04 AM -

Did you notice how patriotic the whole show was with ex presidents, commercials w/ soldiers and even the Eagles and Patriots were playing? I think it was all rigged by someone. I'm surprised that Paul was allowed to sign such un-American songs.

gravatar srah - February 7, 2005 - 9:40 AM -

"Drive My Car" is perfectly American! Or perhaps "Drive My SUV" would be better. Or "You Drive Your SUV And I'll Drive Mine Even Though We're Going To The Same Place And It's Just Down The Street But We Can't Walk There Because There's No Sidewalk."

gravatar Not Your MOM - February 7, 2005 - 11:11 AM -

No! That song is about someone who doesn't have a car (but she has found a driver). How un-American is that?! She doesn't have a car, but she is going to be a star! :-)

I do agree with you about having to drive because there is no public transport or sidewalks.

gravatar jday - February 7, 2005 - 4:33 PM -

I have an SUV (two, actually), but in my defense I have two very large dogs.... I think they are both bigger than srah!

gravatar srah - February 7, 2005 - 4:57 PM -

Two? You're fired!

Do you drive the dogs to the corner in it?

gravatar J - February 7, 2005 - 11:12 PM -

Even Paul's between song commentary was entirely indiscriminate and sanitary: "Thank you Super Bowl!" It was all very patriotic. You know, for a British guy.