Previous entry:
« Let's revisit...

Smell my head!

Dear Internet,

I found a great conditioner when I was in France. I don't know if it made my hair look any better than any other conditioner would, but I quite liked the scent and it went well with the lovely shampoo I found there. And since I smell my own hair more frequently than I look at it, this is what is important to me. Unfortunately, I haven't found this brand in the States, so now that I've finished off the bottle, I have to switch.

So I went and bought a bottle of something new. And I don't like it. It smelled fine in the store, but smelling fine in the store is quite a different thing from your own head smelling like a grapefruit all day long. I don't even know why it smells like a grapefruit, when it's supposed to be ylang ylang, vanilla flower and hibiscus. This is one of those inexplicable things in life, I guess.

Anyway, I turn to you, dear Internet. Have you got any suggestions for shampoos or conditioners you really like? I'm rather turned off by extremely fruity or floral scents at the moment and if the shampoo/conditioner were to have magical volumizing powers for fine, thin hair, that would be helpful too. Or Timotei and Palmolive could just start selling their hair products in the US and that would be fine, too!

srah - Monday, 3 January 2005 - 2:10 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar Michael Conlen - January 3, 2005 - 3:49 PM -

Biolage, which is a Matrix product, has been my shampoo and conditioner of choice for quite a while. From having curly long hair to short less than curly hair they've had a product that fits my hair. I change which of their products I use from time to time as hair seems to adjust somehow.

I had been using random shampoo when I started growing my hair then moved up to Botanical Gardens then St. Ives as the hair got longer. Eventually nothing in the grocery store would work. I asked a hair stylist I knew and she recommended Biolage. There was a clear difference for the money and it has lasted me years.

gravatar kira - January 3, 2005 - 5:23 PM -

I know it's plain, but it's wonderful, unexcitingly scented, and it's cheap--Suave Professionals Humectant (which is in a white bottle and can be purchased for like 2$ each). I've used both the shampoo and the conditioner for a few years now, and I love them to pieces...moreso once I realised that I should leave the conditioner on longer than 15 seconds to actually let it condition. Hee hee. Good stuff.

gravatar Tamara - January 3, 2005 - 8:16 PM -

I share the grief of fine, limp hair and just love a certain shampoo/condition whose name I cannot for the life of me remember. (I am currently out). BUT, it's all natural and cruelty free and in a opaquish bottle (helpful, huh?) I do remember that it states clearly "Rainwater Henna Shampoo" - or conditioner - and runs about 8$CDN per bottle. It's great on fine hair and adds volume and natural highlights as well. Talk about magical powers!

gravatar srah - January 3, 2005 - 8:39 PM -

Nature's Gate?

gravatar Noor - January 3, 2005 - 10:24 PM -

If you had curly hair, I'd recommend Deva Curl products.

gravatar Mer - January 4, 2005 - 11:54 AM -

Fine hair girl over here--I like Aveda's "Pure" line. It smells herby-minty-clean, the conditioner works like that (snaps fingers) and I need very little to condition my hair. I've had v. bouncy hair since I started using it--along with Phomollient or something like that, which is the bouncy hair foam. You can buy all this at Douglas J., just around the corner from Nickel's Arcade, and they'll give you a $14 haircut (no tip) to boot, if you're willing to submit to haircutter trainees.

gravatar mellanye - January 4, 2005 - 1:02 PM -

dove is good, and aveda rosemary mint

gravatar MaTT - January 4, 2005 - 1:46 PM -

I use Pantene Pro-V, and the shampoo smells great, so good i probably shouldn't like the smell of my own hair so much... ;)

gravatar Somewhat - January 4, 2005 - 5:11 PM -

Well.... you could get someone who's in France a lot of the time to mail you a bottle or two, perhaps? We'll be over there next week or the week after, so if you want me to pick some up, let me know.

gravatar srah - January 4, 2005 - 5:23 PM -

Such a lot of work for shampoo! It would probably cost more to ship than it would to buy it! Nah, I'll just find an adequate replacement here and fill my suitcase up next time I'm over there. ;)

gravatar katie - January 4, 2005 - 5:59 PM -

I use Herbal Essences, but not that one.

Purifying Shampoo For Normal to Oily Hair
Purifying Conditioner For Normal to Oily Hair

You could try the "Uplifting Shampoo For Fine/Limp Hair" and "Uplifting Conditioner for Fine/Limp Hair" on the same pages...

gravatar bran - January 4, 2005 - 8:36 PM -

i'm putting in my vote for Aveda, too. (Pure) or, you could go with Somewhat's train of thought...

gravatar Dortch McGirken - January 5, 2005 - 9:25 AM -

I use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree soap and Shampoo. Very invigorating, to say the least. If you like to get freaky in the shower, the shampoo generates a warm sensation when applied to "certain" locations.

Me likie long time.

gravatar tbone - January 5, 2005 - 11:18 AM -

paul mitchell? aveda? if you want to spend a gazillion dollars on your hair.

i like the crap that comes in the bright green bottles, because the bright green bottles are damn cool looking. and it doesn't make your hair smell like crap, like herbal essences.

gravatar Somewhat - January 5, 2005 - 8:44 PM -

If tbone means Garnier Fructis, ooooh yeah! It's my favourite. The masque stuff in the round jar is *the* stuff.

gravatar Tam - August 14, 2005 - 7:12 AM -

I'm looking for La Vie Purifying shampoo. Does anyone know where I can find it? I have been all over the net and no hits.