I want to attack you... WITH LOVE!

I was taking a shower this morning when the door to the bathroom opened.

I froze.

I took an inventory of who it could possibly be. My dad's still in South Carolina. My sister's in Albion. My mom is supposed to be at work, and if she came home for some reason, why would she open the bathroom door while I was showering and not say anything? The same goes for Robin, who also has a key to our house.

Was the front door locked? Was the back door locked? I don't know - I just got up and I don't regularly check to make sure the doors are locked.

I was still frozen. The door was still open and I began imagining shadows cast against the shower curtain.

A few moments passed. So apparently it wasn't a mad rapist who had broken into my house to attack me in the shower. Perhaps instead it was a burglar, who wasn't going to give me any trouble unless I got out of the shower. So I stayed there for a while, imagining footsteps and other sounds. But I started to get wrinkly.

So I turned off the water, grabbed my towel and stepped carefully out of the shower... onto the dog. He has serious issues with closed doors these days and is terrified that we're going to leave him somewhere or something. He has taken to lying down on my feet or to following me around the house closely enough that I can feel his wet nose against the back of my leg.

srah - Thursday, 16 September 2004 - 10:45 AM
Tags: ,

gravatar Jez - September 16, 2004 - 11:44 AM -

I like your dog. And I think you do too, in spite of your protestations otherwise.

gravatar alfie - September 16, 2004 - 11:59 AM -

Let's see if you still like him after you've tripped over him or been one of the subjects of his attempted murders.

gravatar Court - September 16, 2004 - 12:50 PM -

My old dog had issues too with being alone, esp after our other dog died. The vet actually wanted us to put her on Prozac. My mom refused but put her on St Johns Wort instead.

Only in my family--even the dog needs prozac.

gravatar srah - September 16, 2004 - 2:33 PM -

I think he's also blind enough that he's not completely convinced we're there unless he can touch us.

gravatar Smuj - September 16, 2004 - 11:15 PM -

Gary (my cat) follows me everywhere I go. He's quiet, out of the way, and usually within 10 or 15 feet. It's nice that I always have someone in the room to talk to, even if he only responds to words like "treat" or "food". He parks outside the bathroom door when I'm in the shower. He's always waiting for me in the kitchen when I get home from work. He's a good friend. It's very comforting.

gravatar Cheryl - September 17, 2004 - 3:48 PM -

It's interesting you thought it was a murderer or rapists or burglar before you even thought of Howie D (and this is how we do it).