To whom it may concern:

Dear FutureMe, I hope you do not wear sweat suits like your mom and let your hair look all shitty.
Dear FutureMe, WHAT'S UP!
Dear FutureMe, How is the future? Good I hope. Do I have a girlfriend? Do I have a wife? Write back soon.

FutureMe.org lets you send yourself (or other people) emails to the future. You could send an e-mail today and it would be delivered to you in 2010, sort of like a time capsule.

You can also read those emails which people have chosen to make public. My favorites are the ones who ask questions and ask their future selves to write back in time.

I am amused and have written to check up on myself a year from today to see what I'm up to.

srah - Sunday, 14 March 2004 - 6:18 PM

gravatar Justin - March 14, 2004 - 11:17 PM -

So what happens when you change e-mail addresses?

gravatar srah - March 15, 2004 - 12:29 AM -

I know - that sucks. That's why I only sent it one year into the future - I figure I can probably count on still having the same address a year from now. I suppose beyond that, you have to write yourself real letters and hide them somewhere.

gravatar Urs - March 15, 2004 - 10:08 AM -

in the 7th grade and again in the 8th grade, we wrote letters to ourself when we graduated from HS. It was touching and eerie to read what I thought back then..... I didn't have a happy time in jr high

gravatar katie - March 15, 2004 - 11:28 AM -

In junior high I wrote myself a big letter about all my friends at the time. I opened it when I graduate from high school, and I could remember who the heck any of those people were.

I tried the same thing during my first semester in college. Opened it after I graduated. Also didn't remember any of them, except for one or two.

Sad, very sad.

gravatar richard - March 15, 2004 - 2:58 PM -

I wrote a letter to a musician named Tom Howard when I was on jury duty about 10 years ago. His old albums used to give an address for correspondence, along with a note that said, "please write", so I did.

I was returned to sender, undeliverable address.

I have no idea what I said. Someday I will open it and see how lame it all was.

gravatar katie - March 15, 2004 - 4:55 PM -

Something about that sounds so melancholy... he begged for someone to write him and love, but then he was gone.

gravatar KathyHowe - March 16, 2004 - 12:32 PM -

I'm gonna send myself one that says "YOU BETTER NOT BE IN YEAR THREE OF YOUR DERN DIVORCE!"