I am tempted to vote for the CWDHFNFLN...

Voting stresses me out. At the insistence of a friend, I applied to vote in the Michigan Democratic Caucus. So I've spent the past week (well, mostly this morning) trying to figure out who I'm going to vote for.

The letter I received along with my ballot asks for contributions to the Michigan Democratic Party and informs me that by requesting this ballot, I have "taken the first step to defeat George W. Bush!" While I'm all about getting that wang out of office, I wish there were a way to rephrase that so that it wouldn't be so negative. Why can't we be "supporting American ideals" or something like that?

There is less stress because I don't feel like my vote is going to make as big of a difference overall (this is just a Democratic caucus rather than the Big Election), but there's more stress because there are so many candidates to choose from and no one really stands out in my mind. Most of the candidates are interested in giving more rights to homosexuals and in repealing or limiting the Patriot Act. So where do I go from there?

I suppose it would help if I had any opinion on anything related to the economy. I don't know anything about economics or what the current government's economic action has been or what has been done in the past and how that's affected the country. Four weeks into the semesterful of SI 502, I am quite sick of hearing anything about economics, either micro- or macro-.

I have until 4pm today to make my decision. Tick tick tick tick.

srah - Saturday, 7 February 2004 - 12:44 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar Urs - February 7, 2004 - 1:33 PM -

Clark - good, but would be better in some kind of decision making capability in the cabinet
Kucinich - No, just don't worry about him
Sharpton - same as above
Kerry - could win, bout would need the support of everyone else
Dean - same as above, but I'm not sold either
Edwards - who? I know nighting about him

Really, it looks like its between Kerry and Dean with Clark and Edwards nipping at their heels

gravatar srah - February 7, 2004 - 1:35 PM -

I don't think I would consider Dean a frontrunner anymore... but then I have no idea what I'm talking about.

gravatar Urs - February 7, 2004 - 1:37 PM -

yeah, I don't know either - he said that he needs to win my state to stay in, but he's only campaigning in Madison and Milwaukee - he won't win the upper counties with that mentality - of course they were all red counties - Madison basically carried the state for Gore

gravatar frank - February 7, 2004 - 1:37 PM -

Dean's toast, I'm afraid. I liked Dean, but he fell apart under attack. Kerry looks to be the one with the momentum. He doesn't blow me away, but none of the others does, either. Clark strikes me as untested and, like Dean, could easily fall apart under attack by the Republicans.

gravatar lee - February 7, 2004 - 4:23 PM -

This is evidence that you have been skipping over all of the political rants on my blog. How can you not know? Just please don't support Kerry. He's somehow skyrocketed to the frontrunner position despite the fact that he is clearly the worst candidate. He's been of the same opinion as Bush concerning all the major issues of today. So Bush will say "Oh, I lead the fight in Iraq" and Kerry's counter-argument will be a measly, "Yes, well, I voted for it." and then so on and so on with the Patriot Act, Homeland Security, No Child Left Behind, etc. He's a terrible candidate: just a democratic Bush. That's not going to inspire many people to vote for him in November. Plus, he allegedly botoxed the crap outta his forehead.

gravatar frank - February 7, 2004 - 4:39 PM -

I appreicate what you're saying about Kerry, plus he claims he's against special interests and has taken tons of special interest cash. But if Kerry's just a Democratic Bush, and I'm a Democrat, and Kerry's the Democratic nominee, does that mean I shouldn't vote in November? I care more about getting Bush out of the White House than about whether Kerry's the perfect candidate.

gravatar srah - February 7, 2004 - 4:46 PM -

I think Lee's point is that we shouldn't let Kerry be the Democratic candidate, just so that we won't be faced in November with the Bush vs. Bush Light vote, but rather with Bush vs. Somebody Better.

gravatar frank - February 7, 2004 - 4:54 PM -

True. That's a good point.

gravatar Urs - February 7, 2004 - 7:59 PM -

yeah, but we all need to encourage the democrats to be better, to work together and to do so after they hopefullly win. So even if it is Kerry - we will tell him to be a little more hard hitting on things and to not just be Bush lite