Back in my day, we appreciated a little dirt in our falafel!

I ran late today and had to find parking on central campus rather than parking on north campus and taking the bus in, as I usually do. I ended up parking at a meter, shoving in piles of dimes and quarters in order to pay for the hour I had class, then moving to free on-street parking after class was over.

Unfortunately, class was over at 10:00, so parking was limited by that time. I ended up in a residential area and had to walk thirty miles in the freezing cold, in six feet of snow, uphill both ways to my work. And did I complain? No, because in my day, we did that kind of thing and we liked it, because it taught us to appreciate-- aw, bugger that. It was about fifteen minutes and I bitched and moaned all the way back.

I can hear the difference between my neighborhood and the campus area, but I didn't realize that residential neighborhoods downtown were just as silent. Among the interesting things seen on my sufferable, grumbly walk back to civilization:

• A squirrel crawling into a hole in a tree. I don't think I've ever seen this, except in cartoons. Maybe I hang around the wrong kind of trees.
  • A bird-poop-splat shaped like a llama.

I am easily amused.

srah - Wednesday, 3 December 2003 - 12:00 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar alfie - December 3, 2003 - 12:29 PM -

Yes, you are.

gravatar katie - December 3, 2003 - 12:58 PM -

Maybe it was actually a tiny llama poop splat...

I see squirrels in tree holes all the time. Now I will always think of you when I see one.

gravatar Jez - December 3, 2003 - 1:00 PM -

Bloody luxury. I used to have to wade 100 miles through ten feet o'snow for lectures that lasted 25 hours a day and when I arrived at class the lecturer would slice us all in two with a bread knife. And that was if we were lucky.

gravatar katie - December 3, 2003 - 1:08 PM -

Hee hee.

gravatar Urs - December 3, 2003 - 3:26 PM -

Oh yeah? well out on the prairie, the snow was a blessing because the mountains of it sometimes sheltered us from the 100 mph winds that would blow everyday. Then the 50 of us had to huddle in this tiny shack for lecture with a coal heater that never heated up the room but burned you if you touched it. At least we had our body heat, except during discussion sections

It was a hard life, but I survived, I may only have three fingers and half of a nose, but damnit, I'm alive!