There must be fifty ways

Alex got back home on Monday and we broke up last night. As trite as it sounds, we've grown apart. We haven't seen much of each other in the past nine months and we've both had big, life-changing experiences during that time. Some people can make long-distance relationships work - we didn't.

I've been stressing out about it for a while, but I didn't want to say anything here until we'd talked about it. I'm feeling quite relieved now. It's nice that we both saw that it was over, so no one's upset and we can still be friends.

srah - Wednesday, 13 August 2003 - 8:58 AM

gravatar Jez - August 13, 2003 - 9:13 AM -

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're OK. Best wishes.

gravatar krista. - August 13, 2003 - 9:42 AM -

I don't think it's trite to say that you've grown apart--too many people use it as an excuse for other issues (which is why it seems trite), but it *is* a real concern in many relationships, especially the LD variety. I hope that you'll still visit Albion sometime. I'll even scrounge up a JH movie to watch, if you'd like. ;) 'Hope all is well in all senses, and if not, you know where to find my e-mail box. :)

gravatar srah - August 13, 2003 - 10:00 AM -

Thanks for your concern, you guys. I guess a break-up doesn't always have to be bad. I'm not really upset at all - I'm relieved of the stress that Alex was going to be upset, but it turned out we felt the same way.

I'm sure I will visit Albion anyway - maybe not as often as I would have, but Alex and I are still friends, Becky's there, and there are lots of other people to visit. I'm sure I'll be there for Homecoming this year since I wasn't last year.

I can bring new JH movies to inflict on you. Ha ha!

gravatar lee - August 13, 2003 - 12:37 PM -

I'm glad to hear that you feel good about it. That's the best kind of break up you can ask for.

But I also wanted to compliment you on the great title for this post. Lovin' it.

gravatar katie - August 13, 2003 - 1:58 PM -

I'm really sorry to hear this news, but I'm also glad that you're doing ok. Things like this are tough. I've also dealt with a LD relationship, and it's not easy. I'm proud of you for handling it maturely, and for being able to remain friends. That's something I've never been able to figure out (the friends part, not the maturity part).

Anyway, it's a pleasure to welcome you to the ranks of singledom. You're sure to have a good time with us!

gravatar rockinronnie - August 13, 2003 - 2:01 PM -

c'est la vie....

I'm listening to your CD right now, and loving it.....discovering some great new music, and remembering some old favourites...the Raspberries and Neil Diamond, who knew??

gravatar The Pato - August 13, 2003 - 5:51 PM -

Is very nice of you, the way you phrased it and you will always have a friend in me, and you better show in Albion and visit, otherwise I will kill you.
Love you lots
your pal
Alex

gravatar srah - August 13, 2003 - 7:00 PM -

Oh boy! Death threats from the ex!

gravatar Erica - August 13, 2003 - 7:04 PM -

I don't really know what one is supposed to reply with in this situation. Congratulations? I'm sorry? (That's an album title. What album was that?) I'll just say that I'm glad you are now relieved of your stress.

gravatar srah - August 13, 2003 - 7:19 PM -

Thanks. I didn't really expect any replies... just wanted to get it out there and off my chest. I think having that hovering over me un-blogged was part of what was causing my blog-drought.

gravatar katie - August 14, 2003 - 8:24 AM -

That's exactly what I was thinking. See? Now you can entertain us!

gravatar jday - August 14, 2003 - 9:02 AM -

yeah, so maybe I'm slow, but I don't get the title of the post.... On another note, I am truly happy for your stress relief, saddened for your loss (?), and all those other trite sayings I should say at this time. Internally I'm honestly thinking a whole bunch of snide remarks about you no longer being a cradle robber, but I'll restrain myself in this time of mourning :o)

gravatar denzylle - August 15, 2003 - 11:28 AM -

To those who asked: it's Paul Simon. [There must be] '50 Ways to Leave your Lover'.

Srah, I'm sorry to hear the news, but I'm happy that you're feeling OK about it.

And Alex, your reply was sweet. I'm glad you made it to London and that I got the chance to meet with you. Adios.

gravatar alfie - August 15, 2003 - 8:29 PM -

Thanks for putting me as a secondary reason for visiting Albion. I'm shocked that I made it higher than lots of other people to visit. In other news, I know have the internet. Mwahahahahahahahahaha.