Previous entry:
« Who's on second?

Planning not to plan ahead

I was all set to dress as a pirate for Halloween, being piratically original and unique and referring to the theme that pops up from time to time on Katie's or my blog. It suddenly occurs to me that, due to the success of the pirate movie, everyone is going to be a pirate this year. Back to the drawing board. Looks like the holiday will, once again in 2003, be celebrated with a crappy Halloween costume thought up on the morning of the 31st.

I once had a friend who wore a black garbage bag with colored circles taped onto it, going as a bag of M&Ms. What are the most memorable Halloween costumes you've seen?

srah - Wednesday, 6 August 2003 - 11:27 PM

gravatar EV - August 6, 2003 - 11:38 PM -

I had a friend in high school who wore jeans and a red t-shirt and carried around a can of Redi-Whip. She was a zit.

This year, my friend and I are going to be twin Stevie Nicks. Don't anyone even think of stealing that idea.

gravatar Justin - August 7, 2003 - 12:16 AM -

How about these:

1. Black makeup around one eye and wearing a t-shirt with a big "P" printed on it. Voila! You're a Black-Eyed Pea.

2. Pink sweat suit with a shoe on your head. Voila! You're gum on the bottom of a shoe.

I haven't actually seen these, but I get bored sometimes and think of weird things. Personally, I'll be going as Elwood Blues this year.

gravatar katie - August 7, 2003 - 10:02 AM -

I was a Bosnian once. I put on my paisley bathrobe and carried a super-soaker.

My mom always used to sew me these really neat costumes that I would design for her. My favs were Tinkerbell (complete with these giant, multi-colored cloth-covered cardboard wings) and Cleopatra (not a good choice for mid-Fall in Vermont).

You should go as a "scurvy knave", which would be something other than a pirate, but remaining within the boundaries of the pirate theme. Or perhaps a parrot. Or a coconut?

gravatar katie - August 7, 2003 - 10:04 AM -

Ooh! Ooh! Iiiiideeeeeaaaaaa!!!

Since you have united yourself and myself in your pirate mindset, why don't you dress up as a pirate in honor of my birthday in October? You can send me pictures. Yes prease! And for your birthday I will dress up as something you choose.

gravatar srah - August 7, 2003 - 10:09 AM -

Hmmm, coconut. Brown and hairy. Sounds good, except that people might try to hammer nails into me to milk me.

This is a really great idea, mostly because my birthday comes first, so I could make you dress up and then not do it myself. Hmmmmm.

gravatar Mer - August 7, 2003 - 10:28 AM -

I can't believe the words "giant" "foam" "head" don't factor into your Halloween costuming plans.

gravatar srah - August 7, 2003 - 10:48 AM -

Hmmmm... good idea. Or I could DRESS as EASTER ISLAND - wear all green and cut out little Moais to put on my head and shoulders. Hmmm. This has potential.

gravatar ally - August 7, 2003 - 11:06 AM -

Wear a slip and a sash or a name tag that says "Freudian" - Only about half the people will get it, but it certainly seperates the men from the boys.

gravatar Jez - August 7, 2003 - 11:52 AM -

Reminds me of a terrible fancy dress joke:

A bloke went to his mates fancy dress party with nothing but a naked girl on his back.
"So what the hell are you supposed to be?" the host asked.
"I'm a snail." the bloke replied.
"What a load of *+!@!" the host said. "How can you be a snail when all you've got is that naked girl on your back?"
"That's not a naked girl, mate" the bloke replied "That's Michelle."

gravatar Cheryl - August 7, 2003 - 12:06 PM -

I don't think I get the joke. Maybe it is really bad. Or maybe I'm just slow. I think I'm going as a monkey this year and I do think you should be a coconut.

gravatar Daddy - August 7, 2003 - 1:11 PM -

I can't believe that Cheryl didn't get the joke. That was a good one!

gravatar srah - August 7, 2003 - 1:17 PM -

Say it out loud, Cheryl!

gravatar katie - August 7, 2003 - 1:27 PM -

I don't know which is funnier, the idea of someone hammering you, or the idea of someone milking you. Or the idea of you being brown and hairy.

Bad joke.

In Monkey Island 3, Guybrush has to carve a huge Moai-esque mask out of a giant piece of tofu, to wear it to a volcano-feeding ceremony. That has possibilities.

What shall I dress up as for you, my dear? (Remember, it'll have to be low-budget.)

gravatar Jez - August 7, 2003 - 6:02 PM -

Don't ask me to dress up and post a photo, 'cos it ain't gonna happen.

There are photos of me dressed variously as a clown and as Zorro during Las Palmas carnival. They will never be posted either. I was also in drag one night at carnival time (weird Canary Islands tradition). I did not allow photos of this.

gravatar katie - August 8, 2003 - 8:12 AM -

Oh, our birthday costume photos would not be for postin'. Only sharing between the two of us. Well, srah can post the pictures of her if she wants, but mine aren't going anywhere near the web.

(In case you're wondering, it has absolutely nothing to do with embarrassment over the costume. I'm just weirded by the idea of having my face out there in cyberspace...)

gravatar Shireen - August 8, 2003 - 9:11 AM -

Our family friend, UNCLE BRIAN, dressed as a nun. I have no idea why he did that.

gravatar richard - August 11, 2003 - 8:05 AM -

none?

gravatar Gemma Rowley - September 30, 2003 - 4:02 PM -

i once planned to get a 5 5 5 on my sats i planned wat my family were going to say then i got a stinking 4 4 4 on my sats instead