Previous entry:
« Dream

Drie scheuren in het fudament der Gereformeerde waarheid

I read a Dutch card-catalogue card out loud to my mother, who told me I sounded like I was speaking French. I realized my mistake and changed my Rs from the voiced uvular fricative to flapped ones (language nerd! language nerd!), and felt like I was speaking Spanish.

I read Spanish with a French accent, Dutch with a Spanish one, and French with a strange one that no one can identify, but definitely sounds foreign. I strive to be a mutant in all languages.

srah - Tuesday, 1 July 2003 - 11:35 AM
Tags: , , , ,

gravatar katie - July 1, 2003 - 11:57 AM -

I read this, and I look at the picture of you smiling with your crown of dandelions, and I wonder if you are really the same person.

gravatar srah - July 1, 2003 - 12:00 PM -

Howzat? Both are insane...

gravatar katie - July 1, 2003 - 1:20 PM -

You look so innocent and sweet in that picture... hard to imagine you're a mutant.

gravatar annica - July 1, 2003 - 4:43 PM -

Phew! I thought this would be the mandatory Dutch post of Language Week... I would love to learn Dutch, but I have a love/hate thing going. I feel I should already understand it, because it's basically words I'm already familiar with, but alas, poor Yorrick. It's just out of reach. Dutch is the word on the tip of your tongue, that last pinch of salt, the ball that misses the goal by an inch. I think Dutch was invented to annoy the rest of the world...

gravatar srah - July 1, 2003 - 7:26 PM -

Dry Sharon in hot fundament of the gerformed warhead! Sounds like a spam subject line!

gravatar srah - July 2, 2003 - 7:40 AM -

I don't look innocent and sweet... I look insane, like I'm wearing dandelions on my head. That was the intended message, anyway. STAY AWAY! I'm Crazy Dandelion Head.

gravatar katie - July 2, 2003 - 1:26 PM -

I wrote a horror story in high school about a society that pops the heads off dissenting citizens in the same way little kids pop the heads off of Dandelions.

I still think you look innocent and sweet, like a naive princess drifting through a medival woods looking for an enchanted frog to kiss.

You ol' frog-kisser, you.

gravatar jday - July 2, 2003 - 1:54 PM -

I think you look vaguely like that chicky from BH90210. I never watched the show so I don't know her name- or her character's name for that matter.

gravatar alfie - July 2, 2003 - 3:22 PM -

Shannen Doherty? Personally, I am more reminded of Rachel Leigh Cook and Tina Fey. The most famous person that I remind people of is Srah.

gravatar srah - July 2, 2003 - 6:14 PM -

Katie? You're scary. And JDay? You're even scarier. Becky, however, is funny.