srah's Real World report #3 or whatever number we're up to

I hate The Real World. Every week, I get to the end of the episode and realized that I have wasted a half-hour of my life and that it has made me stupider. NOTHING EVER HAPPENS on that show. They bicker, they get drunk, they make out with each other... but they never do anything. Supposedly, they're working on a travel guide, but they never travel anywhere. I hate them all, but I will, of course, be back next week.

I did learn something this week, and I don't know if it's a good thing. Robin and Cheryl told me that a Real World season lasts about six months. This cheers me up, because I thought the show was going to end at the end of the summer, and nothing would have happened. Six months gives us time for things to happen. The downside, of course, is that I have to watch and suffer this for six months.

srah - Wednesday, 25 June 2003 - 7:29 AM
Tags: ,

gravatar lee - June 25, 2003 - 10:32 AM -

I'm not kidding about this: just now I was looking at The Real World web site (since I don't have television...) and I decided to come over here to see what it was you had originally said that even got me thinking about the damn show in the first place. And there you go - you're writing about it again! What's wrong with us? Why can't I just let it go? Why can't you stop watching? Why am I so excited to see a full episode when I get home next week? Why, why, why?

What time is it on, by the way? (Since I know we're in the same time zone and all)

I have decided the following (from the blurbs on the web site, which are, of course, terribly skewed):

Leah's annoying. She seems sort of stupid. CT sucks. He seems stupid too. Why don't they ever talk about Simon? He's the only interesting one, but I have yet to read anything about him (other than the fact he's gay, which really...can't we get over that now? He only seems interesting thus far because he's not always fighting and he's Irish). Why is everybody so obsessed with Mallory? She just seems like a typical 18-year-old to me, albeit a rather pretty one. Please, haven't we seen this innocent girl/wants-to-break-free thing before (aka Julie from the New York season)? I don't have any beef with Adam or Cristina just yet, but I'm sure it'll come. Oh, and Ace. Yeah. Nothing much to say about him. Seems like your average American frat guy...nice but not fascinating.

Do you have anything to add? Do you agree?

gravatar mday - June 25, 2003 - 10:41 AM -

TV/The Real World's/Foosball from the Devil, Bobby (or srah in this instance).

Revolutionary Idea - DONT WATCH THE SHOW!

gravatar srah - June 25, 2003 - 10:45 AM -

Leah is annoying. She complains about everything and expects people to read her mind.

CT is a slob, but I think people are taking things out on him and being meaner than they need to be. They're making him cry. On the other hand, he has ugly eyebrows and is pretty dense when it comes to Christina (I think he thinks she still likes him).

Christina's kind of mean to CT, but I guess she's the best of the girls.

Adam said something really mean to someone earlier in the show, then didn't get why it was mean until he talked to his sister on the phone. I don't know how he could be that dense. But he's still better than Ace.

Mallory and Ace are stupid and think that getting drunk is an excuse for kissing people. Mallory thinks everyone in the house (and the viewing audience) should care about her relationship or lack thereof with Ace.

Ace is just stupid, although he hasn't had any contact with French people lately so at least he's not stupid in that way right now. He's just a typical stupid frat boy.

I agree - I would like them to focus some more on Simon. He's barely in it and he's the only one I like.

gravatar srah - June 25, 2003 - 10:46 AM -

Sorry, Matt. Not an option. It takes place in FRANCE, so I HAVE to watch it.

gravatar srah - June 25, 2003 - 10:47 AM -

I would just like to point out that there is only one post on my index page with no comments. I love you guys. You make me look important.

gravatar lee - June 25, 2003 - 11:08 AM -

Agreed. I just have to watch it. No choice. Sorry.

(And I am really not the type. I haven't watched The Real World since um...San Francisco? What was that? Season 2? And what are we on now, 13?)

And I would like to point out that, officially, I haven't watched it. Yet.

gravatar mday - June 25, 2003 - 11:29 AM -

I knew it likely that my revolutionary idea would be impossible, but I had to try.

gravatar srah - June 25, 2003 - 11:32 AM -

Can you know something to be likely?

gravatar mday - June 25, 2003 - 12:12 PM -

Pardon my english. I have only been speaking it for 20 + years. I meant to write: "I knew that my revolutionary idea would likely be impossible..." I guess that doesnt sound good either. Arg. I give up.

gravatar mday - June 25, 2003 - 12:13 PM -

"I was just checking the specs on the endline for the rotary gerter. Im retarded."

Tommy Boy AKA mday

gravatar krista. - June 25, 2003 - 12:32 PM -

I almost tried to care about Real World this season because I liked the other non-US one they had (season 4 in London) and because I heard there was an Irish guy on it this season, but sadly, the cast didn't even seem interesting this time around, and the fact that they didn't already speak French really bothered me. It would have been so cooler if they'd picked people who had some knowledge of the language, you know? They could have done so much more with people who were able to mix a bit better into the culture on some level right off. Yeesh...

gravatar srah - June 25, 2003 - 1:09 PM -

Somehow the second way seems to make sense, Mr Day.

Krista, they should've picked me. Except I was already there and had REAL work to do - none of this fannying about writing a guidebook to French clubs (yeah, like Frommer's is really going to publish the crap they come up with).

I would also like to point out that Paris is the first time I've followed The Real World.

gravatar Erica - June 25, 2003 - 1:38 PM -

I confess to skimming the comments and I saw "CT" and thought Connecticut like someone from Connecticut was on the show and I couldn't figure out why people were talking about Connecticut as if it were a person. Never mind.

gravatar kendal - January 31, 2004 - 7:50 PM -

i hate leah, and i mean hate her. i didn't say anything at the time but i really do... my name is kendal, and you may know me from real world campus crawl... i was on the inferno with her and although most were nice ( mike, i love you baby!), leah was such a bitch and was always rude to production and camera crew. she sucks, but trichelle and katie rock!

gravatar kendal - January 31, 2004 - 7:51 PM -