It is time for me to tell you...

Well, I'm done. And it was a really good book. Like Goblet of Fire, it dragged a bit at some parts in the middle, but finished with a bang. I laughed a lot (though less than in previous books), I cried a bit, and chapter 37 gave me goosebumps. I can't wait for Book 6 and am rather frightened that J.K. Rowling doesn't have a deadline for the last two books.

I don't, however, think that Order of the Phoenix was a great book. I enjoyed it as an established Harry Potter fan. I liked to see the continuing adventures and character growth, but it seemed to be missing some of the Harry Potter (pardon the phrase) magic. I'm not saying that it had any less wizardry and spell-casting and potions than the others, but that it seemed to lack some of the je-ne-sais-quoi that make the books so addictive. If you read this one first, I'm sure that reading Book 5 would inspire you to read the others in the series, but I'm not sure that it would make you a Harry Potter fan.

Now, if you've finished the book, feel free to continue reading this post.

srah - Saturday, 21 June 2003 - 4:25 PM
Tags: , , , , ,

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: my thoughts from srah blah blah - November 5, 2010 9:29 AM

In the past, when I've taken notes or "live-blogged" a new Harry Potter book, it's been mostly because I knew that when reading later books, I would want to look back at notes from earlier books - especially hints and clues that seemed relevant but wer... [Read More]

In which Harry Potter's Wheezy finds him from srah blah blah - November 27, 2010 8:30 AM

30 Days of Harry Potter - day 27: Top 3 favorite chapters It is hard to limit myself to just three. Deathly Hallows, Chapter 33 - The Prince's TaleIn which all is revealed about SnapeDeathly Hallows, Chapter 19 - The Silver DoeIn which Ron returns to H... [Read More]

gravatar Sue - June 21, 2003 - 6:24 PM -

Okay. My copy is sitting in the post office down the road, and I won't get it until Monday. I was quite chill about this fact until I read this post. But now, now I'm wondering if I could break into the post office, or if I should just go out and buy another copy tomorrow. Argh, Srah, look what you've done!!!

gravatar Jez - June 21, 2003 - 7:57 PM -

How old is Harry supposed to be now? Does he have to find a spell to cure adolescent acne? I'm sorry - I am heathen who doesn't follow the Potter cult.

gravatar alfie - June 21, 2003 - 8:13 PM -

He's fifteen and J.K. Rowling was on Dateline NBC last night talking to Katie Couric about how she has always imagined Harry having excellent skin, so he hasn't had to deal with acne.

gravatar sarah - June 22, 2003 - 12:43 AM -

didn't that book come out like 24.5 hours ago? you were waiting in line for it weren't you? :)

gravatar katie - June 22, 2003 - 4:42 PM -

I haven't read the book, but I still read the whole post. Joke's on me, though since I didn't understand a word of it.

Someday, when the world runs out of Victorian novels, the Chronicles of Narnia, and the Ender series, perhaps I will pick up HP and give it a read. :)

gravatar srah - June 22, 2003 - 11:08 PM -

Ah, Sue. I've been visiting your blog all weekend, waiting for your reactions to the book. This explains it!

Roommate: yes. And so was Jackie Day.

gravatar srah - June 23, 2003 - 12:20 AM -

I think I had a dream last night where I was snogging Neville Longbottom. I have a bad case of Potterholism.

Where is Jackie Day to defend me and be on my side and make me look good compared to her?

gravatar jday - June 23, 2003 - 9:17 AM -

I'm here! I'm here! Jday to the rescue. although, in my defense, I only styaed up until 3:00 am Saturday reading. i totally agree with everything you posted. I was not that depressed at all. I was *very happy* for you that the first person seriously injured was not the one to die. Now that i am back in the real world (as opposed to having my nose stuck in a book), I'm very sleepy....

gravatar srah - June 23, 2003 - 9:34 AM -

I love you, JDay. Thank you for coming to my rescue. I'm not sure I talked to Matt when I saw you guys - tell him I'm sorry. I got a bit overly excited about seeing one Day and ignored the other.

gravatar jday - June 23, 2003 - 10:56 AM -

well, you know, he didn't talk to you either- I think he was slightly embarassed to be seen there (even though he immediately picked up the book every time I put it down....) Silly man.

gravatar srah - June 23, 2003 - 11:00 AM -

No need for embarrassment! He was being spotted by a Giant Nerd herself (or perhaps a Very Small Nerd, but you know what I mean).

gravatar mday - June 23, 2003 - 11:12 AM -

No worries on not talking with me srah. I was preoccupied with my bro and his girlfriend who were visiting us for the weekend. And jday is right, I did not talk with you either. I was also just thinking of ways to make fun of Jackie and her amusing obsession with getting her hands on book 5. It was all I could do to stop her from mugging some poor little girl in a witch costume to get her book. Also, she probably didnt tell you, but she made herself sick in her mad dash to finish the book ASAP. She did not take in enough liquids and overheated!!

And Im the silly man miss jday???? You are the silly one.

gravatar jday - June 23, 2003 - 11:16 AM -

Hey, that's Mrs. Jday! I love my silly man! :o) Look, srah, a new recruit to you blog (you've suckered him in by mentioning him publicly, now let's see if you can't get him as addicted as I am)! I need to lay off the exclamation points. No more caffeine for me.

gravatar srah - June 23, 2003 - 11:24 AM -

How exciting... Another Day in my comments!

gravatar srah - June 23, 2003 - 11:34 AM -

I'm glad you love him, because you are, after all, married to him.

gravatar Sue - June 23, 2003 - 12:30 PM -

I just finished! I have to say, I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I do like Luna very much though; hope we get more of her. And I was UTTERLY DELIGHTED about the Neville/prophecy thing, especially when Harry's been a brat for 700 pages; he needs a good slap if you ask me.

So when's #6 coming out?!

gravatar alfie - June 27, 2003 - 7:59 PM -

There is absolutely nothing wrong with snogging Neville. I think he's adorable and charming and sweet. I'm quite bitter about the whole being a fictional character thing.