It's funny because it's bigger than a normal hat

Congratulations! You have been selected for a follow-up appointment at an upcoming Jeopardy! contestant search for the Chicago area, exclusively for those who successfully passed the online test. This is the next step in becoming a Jeopardy! contestant. We have reserved the following appointment for you...

I took the Jeopardy! online test on January 27th, and after looking at the answer key someone had posted on the Ken Jennings messageboards, decided that I had failed by one or two questions. Ah well, I thought, There's always next year.

It would seem that I had passed after all, because I received the aforequoted email from Jeopardy! on Monday, inviting me to audition for the show. Great! I thought, going through my calendar in my head. My schedule should be fairly free for the next few months, except when I'm at a conference in Los Angeles, May 25-30.

When I read on, I discovered that the proposed audition was Thursday, May 28 at 3pm (CDT) in Chicago. I will not only be at the conference in Los Angeles on May 28, but I will be presenting that day, from 2-3:15pm (PDT).

I tried to justify skipping out on the presentation to go audition for Jeopardy!, but it didn't really work. I was all ready to resign myself to having to wait and try again when I noticed that at the end of the email, it said:

Should you have a major conflict with the time and date provided, you may respond to this email to explain the nature of the situation.

I was sure my conflict would not be "major" enough for the important bigwigs at Jeopardy!, but I figured it was worth a shot and I would kick myself if I didn't even try. I responded to the email and explained my situation. The following afternoon, I got another email:

We are holding auditions in Chicago May 27th - June 2nd. Would another date work better for you?

YIPPEE!

It's now all confirmed: I will be auditioning June 1 instead.

Now off to pick out a TV-ready outfit¹ and come up with some better-than-average² "one-liner" interview stories! Any suggestions or advice are welcome!

¹ It has been pointed out to me that the "bottom" of a Jeopardy! outfit isn't all that important, since you're hidden behind the lectern. I think it would, however, be fairly important to wear something on the bottom for the audition at the very least.

² Not difficult.

srah - Friday, 10 April 2009 - 5:12 PM

gravatar Craig - April 10, 2009 - 11:50 PM -

When I auditioned, the person running the audition told a story about Ken Jennings and a couple other contestants wanting to play without pants, so I guess that it really doesn't matter.

Glad you were allowed to switch dates.

gravatar srah - April 11, 2009 - 9:16 AM -

Did you tell me you auditioned?!

gravatar Noor - April 11, 2009 - 11:26 AM -

Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out. Perhaps this could be your one-line story on the show? :)

gravatar JD - April 14, 2009 - 12:49 PM -

Grats! I hope that you make it. You will have to keep us all informed of your progress. Maybe Albion can set soe kind of record for having the highest percentage of graduates ever to make it onto the show. Lux Fiat!

gravatar Elisabeth - April 21, 2009 - 10:31 AM -

Congrats! All my advice turned out to be Flight of the Conchords quotes, like how your nickname is the Srah-a-tronic 5000. Good luck!

gravatar Janalee - May 13, 2009 - 4:48 PM -

I love that you used a Celebrity Jeopardy! quote. Good luck. That's awesome.

gravatar katie - May 13, 2009 - 9:33 PM -

You should use this story as an opener for your presentation, to loosen up the crowd.

[I can't believe we're grown-ups now, all presenting-at-conferences-y instead of attending-conferences-using-the-student-discount-y. It's whack.]

The bottom of the outfit IS important, because they line you all up around the floor-circle out in the open during the end credits!

Wouldn't it be a podium, and not a lectern, since no lecturing is going on?

gravatar srah - May 14, 2009 - 6:56 AM -

A podium is a platform. Frequently a lectern is located ON a podium, but you don't stand behind the podium. I only know this because Ken Jennings said so.

gravatar Not your mom - June 2, 2009 - 11:17 AM -

When will you write on your blog?! I keep checking to find out more about your Jeopardy fun and games. When do I start looking for you on my TV screen?

gravatar srah - June 2, 2009 - 11:26 AM -

It's going to take me a while to write it up, but in the meantime, here's my tweets from that period: http://twitter.com/srah