Her Hitler hairdo is/ Making me feel ill

nablopomo2008color.jpgA couple of days ago, Jamelah posted about her haircare routine and said that one way she keeps her gorgeous communist hair in gorgeous communist shape is to only wash it 2-3 times a week. This is a haircare tip I've heard around a lot, but had never put into action. So I tried not washing my hair on Monday, and I just looked like someone who had rolled out of bed before coming to work. I realize that it takes a while for your scalp to catch on that it doesn't have to produce so much oil, but I think I will wait and try this experiment in a season where I don't have to battle both the head-grease and the hat-hair.

That said, someone complimented me on Monday about how nice my hair looked, which I found a bit worrying. Is it just that I'm much more critical of my own hair than casual observers are, or does my hair look even worse when it's clean?

srah - Wednesday, 19 November 2008 - 6:07 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar Kathy - November 19, 2008 - 6:25 PM -

I only wash my hair a couple times a week, but I have thick, coarse hair. I do have an oily scalp, but this doesn't seem to be much of an issue anymore. In fact, it was worse when I washed my hair more often.

gravatar Amy - November 19, 2008 - 6:39 PM -

Instead of just skipping the washing, you could try to just use conditioner. I use shampoo only once or twice a month, but use conditioner every day. You'd be surprised at how clean you can get your hair/scalp by scrubbing it with conditioner.

However, I have thick, curly hair so I don't know how well this method works with thiner/finer/straighter hair.

gravatar srah - November 19, 2008 - 8:47 PM -

Thank you for your feedback, guys! I love you!

(Two margaritas, in case you're wondering.)

gravatar jamelah - November 20, 2008 - 12:05 AM -

Karma Police! Radiohead!

I remember once on What Not To Wear, Nick Arrojo told someone to rinse her hair and massage her scalp a little in the shower between washing, instead of washing her hair every day. I don't remember what type of hair she had (thick, curly, fine, straight, whatever) but it gets the oil away from the roots and makes your hair cleaner without you having to wash it. At least I think I remember this. I could be making it up, or maybe I heard it somewhere else. In any case, it's true.

gravatar Cheryl - November 20, 2008 - 8:26 AM -

I go every other day because my hair is also thick and dry. But they (they being The Man) makes all kinds of products like dry shampoo that is supposed to suck the oil from the scalp and all you not to wash your hair.

I think often times, hair can look better on day two because the natural oils keep things down. Unless you're super greasy. Then they just make you look sketchy.

gravatar allthewine - November 20, 2008 - 9:54 AM -

I believe anything nick arroyo says!!!

I wash my hair every two weeks, but I think we have much different circumstances :)

gravatar Jess - November 20, 2008 - 1:13 PM -

The reason I've never been able to stop washing my hair daily has nothing to do with grease and everything to do with dandruff. Yes, if I don't use an anti-dandruff shampoo every day then I get dandruff. What is the solution to this problem? Because I'd really like one.