My waist, it would seem, is larger than that of a certain Brick House

I am, as is well-documented, an idiot. So when I forgot to get my mom to take my measurements last weekend for my bridesmaid's dress, I put off doing it myself until today (they need to be ordered by tomorrow. I am frankly surprised I did it even a day before it was due). I figured there wouldn't be much to it, and the longer I could put off talking to a stranger on the phone, the better. Today I called up the bridesmaid-dress-place and gave the nice lady the information about which wedding party I belonged to, etc. Then she asked for my measurements.

I gave her the numbers that I had come up with and then I could see her forehead scrunching through the phone line. We went back and forth with me re-measuring as she instructed me how you're actually supposed to measure yourself, and she kept asking me for my waist measurement over and over again. Finally she asked me what size dress I usually wear.

"I don't know," I said, "A zero or a two?"

She replied, "Because with this number you gave me, that would be about an eight. That doesn't seem right."

No, it certainly doesn't! Eight is a perfectly fine dress size, but when you are 5'1" and are used to wearing whatever the smallest size available is, it's a huge shock! Not to mention that my bust and hip measurements are more appropriate for a size zero! And that's with all that junk inside my trunk! I know that bride/bridesmaid dress sizing schemes are bizarre, but even the bridal store lady thought that sounded odd. She said that I should go to a store in person to be professionally measured. So I will take an extended lunch break tomorrow to drive to Springboro, home of the closest store that carries that designer's dresses.

Meanwhile, I am left to fret about my measurements and to measure and remeasure myself, trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or where I could possibly fit on the sizing chart. Anorexics are supposed to have a chemical imbalance in their brain that makes them see themselves as fat, no matter how skinny they get. Now I am worried that I am, like, the opposite of anorexic - that I am nearly spherical and the image I see in the mirror is all in my head.

srah - Thursday, 10 May 2007 - 7:28 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar Sarah - May 10, 2007 - 8:43 PM -

Dude, 8 in bridesmaid dress is impressive, I tell you. It must be the last niche of the clothing industry that has not gone the way of vanity sizing. It's damn depressing.

gravatar Aunt Pam - May 10, 2007 - 11:15 PM -

I hate the sizes they use for women. It angers me that anyone should have to call their size a zero. Why can't our clothing run like men's. Straight forward measurements. Ah, no matter. You will look lovely in your dress no matter the size or the measurement.

gravatar Cheryl - May 11, 2007 - 8:30 AM -

Why do you have to go to a store with the designers dress? You could just go to any store that has measuring tape. Well, except maybe Home Depot. They're not very helpful there and I don't think they'd do it for you.

gravatar srah - May 11, 2007 - 9:03 AM -

I'm going to call ahead and see if they have the dress so that I could, in theory, try it on.

gravatar Amanda - May 11, 2007 - 10:10 AM -

Wow, so much for the grand plan of making things nice and easy :) Do you think anyone ever conforms to the proportions on the size charts, or is it a conspiracy between dress designers and seamstresses?

gravatar srah - May 11, 2007 - 10:39 AM -

It probably would have been a lot easier if I hadn't waited till the last minute. :(

gravatar srah - May 11, 2007 - 1:57 PM -

Attention world: I have been professionally measured and will be squeezed into a size 4 dress! That feels better.

gravatar tiff - May 11, 2007 - 3:03 PM -

That dress is gorgeous!! The last bridesmaid dress I wore was a steamy pile of...ick.

But for the first time, I was my actual dress size. It helped that the dress was literally a sack.

gravatar srah - May 11, 2007 - 3:14 PM -

Literally?

gravatar BOSSY - May 11, 2007 - 5:08 PM -

Bossy is so frustrated about this whole size guessing game too.
check it out:

gravatar mommy - May 11, 2007 - 8:56 PM -

It's a beautiful dress and you will look lovely in it. Did you get to try it on?

gravatar srah - May 12, 2007 - 9:19 AM -

Nope, the one store in the area that sells that designer's wares didn't have that particular dress so I didn't bother driving all the way up there.

gravatar camille - May 14, 2007 - 6:09 PM -

i have NEVER received the appropriate size for a bridesmaids dress-- EVER. the last one was twice my regular size and wouldn't even stay up. thank goodness for alterations!