Everybody's a critic! Even dogs!

I spent the evening pet-sitting one of my downstairs dog-neighbors, a pit bull named Sandy who apparently believed herself the arbiter of good musical taste for the neighborhood. I tried to convince her that she should take a nap instead of running around the apartment like an idiot, and hummed some Brahms in an attempt to lull her to sleep. She gave me the most communicative look of the whole evening in return, but unfortunately what she was communicating was "Seriously? You call that singing? I am a dog and I thought that was bad. Who did my owner leave me with? I have no respect for you, ridiculous bad-singing human."

It was just like being at home with my family!

srah - Wednesday, 18 April 2007 - 8:35 PM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar katie - April 18, 2007 - 8:46 PM -

This post is just...funny. Hahaha!

My cat hats it when I whistle the Blue Danube. Which is too bad, because I can whistle the whole 10 minutes, and I'm proud to show off that fact.

gravatar mommy - April 18, 2007 - 9:00 PM -

I like Sandy. She sounds smart. I like to think of her talking with a British accent. Unfortunately, you are not the American Idol. That is Sanjaya. Love you!

gravatar PimpOfTheNation - April 20, 2007 - 2:04 PM -

Mason loves my music. I play guitar and sing for him all the time. Specifically, he enjoys Bob Dylan and most folk songs. When I start strumming hard, he gets a lil nervous and wonders what all the racket it about. When I first started to play, he would just bark and howl at me. Now, he just lays at my feet.

Is this pitbull running the house or is the owner strong enough to be the alpha dog? Anyone I know that has a pitbull cannot command or control them.

gravatar srah - April 20, 2007 - 4:00 PM -

He seems to be pretty in control. And I was pet-sitting because she doesn't like to be left alone when her owner takes her brother to Puppy Training class (they go on alternating weeks), so it looks like he's taking an active interest in training them to be good doggies. I was particularly impressed when he disciplined them for fighting by giving them a "time-out" where they had to lie on their sides until he said they could get up... and they actually did it. I've never had a dog who followed any useful directions. :D

Clearly Mason is not as picky, or you are a much better singer than I am.

gravatar Jen - April 22, 2007 - 9:20 PM -

Might I suggest Frank Sinatra. His music has a magical affect on my dogs...my puppy will sit in front of the stereo and bop his head along with the music. Perhaps he is a reincarnated rat packer.