An important treatise on grocery shoppi-- let's ride bikes!

Why is it that Kroger's is always having sales on things I need, but it turns out to be ridiculous sales like 10 half-gallons of milk for $10? Who needs 10 half-gallons of milk? Who has room to store 10 half-gallons of milk? Who can drink 10 half-gallons of milk before they go bad? Do the McCaugheys live around here? Yes, I would like a sale on canned mushrooms or ice cream or something, but 10 pints of ice cream for $10? Yeah, maybe if I only ate ice cream for every meal, I could... mmmm, ice cream for every meal. I bet I could find room in my freezer for all of that and eat it all and it would be such a good investment because it's on SALE and... what were we talking about?

srah - Tuesday, 22 August 2006 - 5:21 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar cari - August 22, 2006 - 5:46 PM -

I believe that the sales are applied to the number of items you actually buy. So it would be 1 gallon for $1. It's just a marketing gimmick (sp) to get you to think you need to buy more.

gravatar srah - August 22, 2006 - 5:49 PM -

I dunno... in my experience, they usually have something in fine print saying "individual price: $1" if that's the case. It seems pretty stupid as a marketing gimmick because I'm NOT going to get fooled into buying 10 half-gallons of milk!

gravatar srah - August 22, 2006 - 8:58 PM -

I asked at Kroger! You're right and I'm stupid!

gravatar jamelah - August 22, 2006 - 10:09 PM -

I think I need to start shopping at Kroger.

gravatar Anonymous - August 23, 2006 - 7:19 AM -

If you ever had a pack of teen-age boys in the house you would know the value of 10 half-gallons for $10. But you are young, life happens and then you know. And yeah, it's a buck a piece and they've been marketing that way for a few years now.

gravatar Cheryl - August 24, 2006 - 12:13 PM -

My parents have a freezer in our basement just for storing those 9 extra gallons of milk and extra loafs of bread (although, I don't think they've ever actually bought 9 extra gallons, but maybe a couple).

gravatar srah - August 24, 2006 - 12:26 PM -

Can you freeze milk? I never thought of freezing milk.

gravatar Cheryl - August 25, 2006 - 8:24 AM -

They do. And, once, when my friends and I went camping, we froze the milk to keep the cooler cold. Although it never unfroze, because it sat under some steaks.

gravatar Sarah. - August 29, 2006 - 11:39 AM -

Freezing milk is no good.

It doesn't spoil, true. But it messes it up somehow. For one thing, you have to deal with ice chunkies, and they're gross. And then there are like the remnants of ice chunkies. They look and taste like ice chunkies, even when the milk is quite warm.

Freezing bread is better, though somehow it's always sort of stiff when you bring it back out. Never quite the same.