Previous entry:
« More data needed!

Someone told me nothing's happening at the zoo

MaCAW!  MaCAW!I lived in Michigan for the first 26 years of my life and I went to Detroit for three things:

When I came to Detroit for these events, my family and I often made a day of it, eating dinner in Greektown or somewhere else in the city. But if the idiotic Detroit City Council gets their way and closes the zoo, I will be 33% less likely to a) go to Detroit and b) spend money there. (Actually, I haven't been to a hockey game in years, so it will probably be 50% less.) Ever-popular local blogger Suburban Bliss has some more thoughts on this, including a story about some city council members claiming that this is about race and an online petition you can sign.

So much for the Detroit Renaissance, for becoming a city that people would like to visit, much less live in.

It's a good zoo. It's just a city run by morons.

srah - Tuesday, 21 February 2006 - 4:56 PM
Tags: , , , ,

gravatar Cari - February 21, 2006 - 5:06 PM -

The zoo isn't even in Detroit silly :-p. Did you actually ever go to detroit when u went to the zoo?

gravatar srah - February 21, 2006 - 6:03 PM -

Well then why does the Detroit City Council have anything to do with it? That's why I didn't count Greenfield Village or the Henry Ford Museum as Detroit places, but since the zoo is funded by the city, I figured it counted.

Anyway, from the non-Detroit perspective, all Detroit suburbs are Detroit.

gravatar Noor - February 21, 2006 - 6:54 PM -

what about the DIA? The DIA is a great reason to visit Detroit.

gravatar srah - February 21, 2006 - 6:56 PM -

I haven't been to the DIA since elementary school. I don't know why. To me, art museums aren't a reason to go to a place - they're something to see when you're there.

gravatar Gary LaPointe - February 21, 2006 - 9:16 PM -

The Detroit Lions we're in Pontiac for years and the Detroit Airport isn't in Detroit either. So not such a strange thing that the Detroit Zoo isn't in Detroit. Although I think it's treated as such in many ways (I think employees pay city taxes).

But the odd thing is I don't think of myself as going to Detroit when I go to Joe Louis or wherever. Any more than I think of myself as "going to Dearborn" when I go to the Henry Ford.

Now if I was going to Ann Arbor to shop and eat and drink and go to a concert I'd say I was going to Ann Arbor, but if I was just dashing into town to see the concert and then leave I wouldn't think of it as "going to AA".

gravatar Cari - February 21, 2006 - 10:33 PM -

I know it's very affiliated with Detroit, but srah was talking about going to Detroit for it! I doubt she goes to greektown everytime she goes to the zoo. I know for a fact she goes on a hunt for an ice cream parlor!

gravatar Sarah - February 22, 2006 - 12:46 PM -

This is just crazy. Absolutely crazy.