I spent too much time tonight researching what the tie that Colonel Sanders wears is called. The Intarnets tell me that it is either a string tie or a plantation tie and I don't really trust either. So because I wasted about half an hour on this research and was annoyed with myself, I decided that my professor character would be a chubby old German dude rather than a Colonel Sanders rip-off. You know, because they're so similar. To make up for it, I had two characters fall in love over a bucket of KFC. Ain't it romantic, folks? Too bad somebody's gonna DIE.

I am very proud of my progress tonight. I wrote almost three pages where the other two chapters were only two, and it added up to more than 1200 words in one night. And I'm actually going to be in bed before midnight tonight. Things are looking up... and just in time for me to go to a conference this weekend and get ridiculously behind on my novel and give up less than a week into the competition.

Yay! The power of positive thinking!

srah - Thursday, 3 November 2005 - 9:49 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar katie - November 3, 2005 - 11:40 PM -

You need to post an excerpt on your author page.

gravatar Tony - November 4, 2005 - 1:15 AM -

I always thought it was a bolero tie. And according to my Internets search in some instances people do call it that. In any event, too bad halloween is over, I think I could have passed for a good Col. Sanders after being the Hamburglar last year.

With regards to your story...are they gonna die in the jungle? (As in "You know where you are? You in the jungle, baby, You're gonna diiiiie!") You should have them go to a Guns 'N Roses concert! That would be kick-ass!

gravatar srah - November 4, 2005 - 8:15 AM -

Katie: But what will I post? Every part of my novel is so good!

Tony: Are you thinking of a bolo tie? Those are usually sort of like a shoelace with a metal part pinning the two ends together at the neck, whereas the Colonel's is like a big ribbon tied in a bow at the neck. It's a pretty stupid tie, if you look at it. CLOWNS wear bows tied around their necks and I have quite enough clowns in my story, so it's a good thing I changed him.

gravatar katie - November 4, 2005 - 10:08 AM -

Everything I've seen calls it a string tie or a string bow tie. Sometimes it's called a western string (bow) tie. Sometimes it's called The Colonel. I haven't seen it called a plantation tie.

It's definately not a bolero or bolo tie. Those have actual string-like things, as opposed to being bow ties with tails.

gravatar katie - November 4, 2005 - 10:23 AM -

By the way, don't worry about rip-offs. Where do you think our inspiration comes from? Other stuff. But the reason it's a rip-off as opposed to an exact copy is that there's something different about your idea that is uniquely yours. So you start with your rip-off and run with it, and it'll develop into it's own thing.

For example, my favorite character in my book started out years ago as a nearly exact Qui-Gon Jinn rip-off. Now they have almost nothing in common, except that they're both really tall.

gravatar srah - November 4, 2005 - 12:00 PM -

I'm not worried about rip-offs. I'm just worried about the name of that stupid tie!

I find it strange that Colonel Sanders' tie would be a string tie, when a bolo tie is actually the one with strings. I am so confused.

gravatar srahdad - November 4, 2005 - 4:17 PM -

Is the quote at the top of this posting ('Her bright young eyes shone even through the chicken grease smearing his spectacles.') an actual line from your novel? If so, you may qualify for the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest (http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/)!

gravatar srah - November 4, 2005 - 5:02 PM -

Yes, it is. Um... isn't the Bulwer-Lytton the highest prize any author can hope to attain? I had the impression it was.

IT MUST BE MINE!

gravatar katie - November 4, 2005 - 6:22 PM -

I've never heard of it!

gravatar tbone - November 6, 2005 - 12:16 AM -

dude, they totally mentioned bolo ties on I love the 80s 3D: 1987.