... and she sat on the third one and it was juuuuust riiiiiiight. And then she was eaten by bears.

I went sofa/loveseat shopping this evening at Ringel's, the furniture MEGAPALOOZA in downtown Hamilton (H to the M to the I-L town, if you want to say that, which I don't). Ringel's is so big that you have to be guided by a salesperson at all times. They'll operate the elevator and take you to one or more of the seven floors, depending on what you're looking for. Then they'll turn on the lights (since the lights are apparently turned off when no one's on the floor) and show you around that floor. Based on a visit to the second floor and (I think) the third floor and back to the second and then back to the third, I have managed to decide that a loveseat would probably be more practical than a full-sized couch AND narrow it down to four choices.

Loveseat #1) Pros: Cheapest of them all. Cons: Booooooring.
Loveseat #2) Pros: Red. Cons: Most expensive of them all. Pros: Red. Did I mention it's red? I don't even know why I'd want a red couch when I already have a red bathroom, but I like the color red. And this one's red.
Loveseat #3) Pros: Microfiber, which is apparently most durable and easiest to clean, and also nice and soft like a stuffed bunny. Cons: Not red.
Loveseat #4) Pros: Folds out into a bed. Cons: A little high off the floor for a tiny girl like me.

I want a cheap, red, microfiber fold-out loveseat! Only, I'm not even sure I'd like a red loveseat - I just like red! Was ever a girl a worse furniture-shopper?!

I wrote down the item numbers and took the salesman's business card. I'll get back to him once I'm finished being such a ninny. In other words... it could be a while.

srah - Monday, 14 November 2005 - 8:01 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar Tony - November 14, 2005 - 8:26 PM -

Got a Snickers?

gravatar katie - November 14, 2005 - 8:33 PM -

What about a futon couch? It could address all your needs.

-Futon frames come in a wide price range.
-Futon covers can be easily removed for cleaning.
-Futon covers can be any color you want, or you could have multiple covers and change them for the days of the week, the seasons, whatever you please!
-Futon counches tend to sit lower to the floor for you midgets.
-Futon couches open up into beds!

In my apartment back in Vermont (ah, the good ol' days) I had a futon couch for a while. That's what I slept on. I folded it back up into a couch in the morning and threw my blanket in the closet.

gravatar srah - November 14, 2005 - 8:50 PM -

Futons usually have hard wooden arms if any at all (the ones I've seen, anyway) and I want something with real arms!

gravatar Not your mom - November 14, 2005 - 11:23 PM -

I don't recommend a futon although I have owned one. They are very uncomfortable seating although a adequate guest bed if you get the better mattress.

I suggest you get a mid priced sofa that you like in a neutral color. Then you can then put a red slipcover over it. Once you are tired of red or decide it doesn't fit your other decor you can remove it!

I also suggest you go for comfort and get the couch you want to curl up on and watch TV or read and get an aero bed for guests.

gravatar mommy - November 14, 2005 - 11:26 PM -

What color is the microfiber one? I like the idea of a couch being a little higher, but that could be because our couch is so hard to get up from.

gravatar bobby - November 15, 2005 - 7:54 AM -

Don't forgot about the virtues of slipcovers. I'm sure they have them in red. So, you can go with the cheap couch, washable slipcover.

gravatar Not your mom - November 15, 2005 - 8:29 AM -

OR.... get the expensive red one (if it is comfortable) and later put a slipcover over it. Keep in mind that you will be sitting on it for years to come so get what you really love.

Don't get the sofa bed. I have yet to meet one that is comfortable to sit and sleep on. The man that invented it must have been a masochist or never planned on using it themselves... only torture for guests.

gravatar Aunt Pam - November 15, 2005 - 9:12 AM -

Here's the conventional wisdom on furniture buying . . . If you go cheap expect it not to last more than a few years. If you save your pennies and buy a really nice piece you can keep it for decades and have it reupholstered many times over. I don't recommend the microfiber, my mom bought a set for her new digs and we quickly decided it needed to be replaced. Also, slipcovers are awful, I've tried them, your cousins tried them and they are clumsy, awkward, and never ever look like the pictures. My suggestion would be go neutral and add red pillows and a throw. As far as height goes, there is furniture out there that allows shorter folk to put their feet on the ground AND not be difficult to get out of (like your mom says! She makes a great point, always think ahead . . . 5 years from now you could be 9 months pregnant and have to get up off of it! LOL)

gravatar katie - November 15, 2005 - 9:38 AM -

Fine. Dis my futon idea. :-P And I have loveseat sofa bed, and it is just fine!

gravatar Not your mom - November 15, 2005 - 9:42 AM -

Aunt Pam is right about investing in good furniture unless you want something just for this apartment and plan on tossing it when you move into your mansion.

You have to pay attention to construction and fabric. If you get cushions made of foam they will soon break down so you need to find spring construction cushions. Some fabrics pill up and others attract every bit of lint or cat hair. Others fray after a couple of years.

Your best bet is to do much research about this before you buy. I once had a book from Border's that was about buying a sofa. I gave it to my sister so I can't loan it to you.

gravatar Not your mom - November 15, 2005 - 9:49 AM -

Sorry Katie. :-) Futons are good if you are a college student and on a budget. However, I read an article by the designers on Trading Spaces that said futons are out. Srah needs to move on to more sophisticated furniture.

Also I concede there may be a loveseat sleeper that is comfortable. My experience has been with the saggy double or queen sized beds. However the loveseat sleepers I have seen were very firm sitting and weighed a ton. Not good if you are the only one around moving the furniture to clean or rearrange.

gravatar Cheryl - November 15, 2005 - 12:30 PM -

Red pillows! And who needs to actually put their feet on the ground anyway? I use my couch for jumping!

(I was also jumping on my boss' desk yesterday when he wasn't around.)

gravatar srah - November 15, 2005 - 4:55 PM -

PITCHERS!

I forgot about the photo tour of the store. I think these are the ones I looked at:

#2, #3, #4 (well, I think it might be in the back there somewhere).

gravatar srah - November 15, 2005 - 4:58 PM -

I'm leaning towards #3...

gravatar Not your mom - November 15, 2005 - 6:34 PM -

I like the color of #3 and it looks comfy. Take a book with you to the store the next time and stay and read for an hour or two and see if you like it. :-)

You need to start a tropical theme in your living room. That color would be excellent. I can give you a monkey lamp. Your new plant should go with it too.

Have you asked if you can get different fabrics/colors for your loveseat? Many good furniture stores can order them, but you have to wait weeks.

gravatar srah - November 15, 2005 - 6:45 PM -

Ack. Tropical? No thank you! I have visions of Trading Spaces' Hildy, who would make something tropical by pouring sand on the floor.

Unfortunately, you're accompanied by a salesperson at all times, so they might get bored or annoyed after you'd been testing the couch for an hour. I asked about different colors and fabrics and he said it could take months. I think this place's low prices are due in part to the fact that they have everything on location (and that they have low electricity bills from turning them off when not in use).

gravatar Aunt Pam - November 16, 2005 - 9:06 AM -

#3 looks lovely. As for their pesky salespeople, I say bugger them! Go in with your book, TELL the salesperson, "please leave me your card, I want to sit on this couch for twenty minutes to see if it is to my comfort level, when I am done I will let you know what I decide!" Don't be afraid of 'em, it's YOUR money!

p.s. Don't apologize either! :)