Parting ways

When I go to get my hair cut, I always come in with my hair parted on the right and leave with my hair parted on the right left. I, of course, don't realize what's going on until she announces that she's done and hands me the mirror to look at it.

I haven't decided if I'm in some minority of right-side-parters and she's used to parting it on the left, if she somehow got the impression that I part my hair on the left and has never changed it, if she really wants my hair to be parted on the left and this is her way of getting back at me for parting it on the right, or if she's trying to get me to vary the location of my part so that I don't go bald on the right side of my head.

To me, parting my hair on the left side is sort of like wearing thong underwear. It's perfectly normal and lots of people do it, but it doesn't feel right to me. I could probably get used to it if I had to, but I don't have to, so I won't.

srah - Saturday, 3 September 2005 - 11:31 AM

gravatar Cari - September 3, 2005 - 1:40 PM -

Where is a picture of this part of yours on the left side?

gravatar srah - September 3, 2005 - 1:55 PM -

There are none! I have re-parted it on the right!

gravatar Tony - September 4, 2005 - 12:40 AM -

In general, I was under the impression that left-handed people parted their hair on the left and right-handed people parted their hair on the left. That's the way it had worked with the men in my family anyway (well when I actually HAD hair). My dad parts on the right and I on the left. Maybe it's different for yous womens.

I was actually hoping to see the picture of you with the left side part AND in thong underwear...titled "The Uncomfortable Day." Oh well...how fast does your hair grow? :-P

gravatar Allison - September 4, 2005 - 5:01 PM -

I heard that people generally part their hair on the same side that their parent used to do it when they were kids. So if ParentA parted ChildA hair on the right, that is also where ChildA preferred the part as an adult. Or it could be that this gets reversed as ChildA turns into AdultA, and reverses the part in the mirror.

gravatar Cari - September 5, 2005 - 11:17 PM -

My hair parts naturally. so I part it there and always have

gravatar senatorhung - September 7, 2005 - 6:21 PM -

hrm, perhaps the second 'right' in the first para should maybe be a 'left' ? i've had my extended bangs for a good 5 years now, so i can't even remember which way i used to part my hair.

gravatar srah - September 8, 2005 - 9:39 AM -

Whoa! Why has no one pointed that out???

gravatar Not Your MOM - September 8, 2005 - 11:39 AM -

I noticed it, but didn't want to embarrass you. :-)

gravatar Cheryl - September 8, 2005 - 4:36 PM -

I part my hair on all three sides (ok, two and the middle). I'm wacky like that.

gravatar Cheryl - September 8, 2005 - 4:37 PM -

Wait. I didn't mean all at once. On separate occasions.